Thread: Fedora serial port changing control signals

Fedora serial port changing control signals

In Fedora 6, xen is installed which take over serial port 1 ttyS0 for xm console. I need to do a console connection through the serial port to a router using the typical 9600,n,1 setup. But the problem is that fedora serial port keeps on changing control signals. Can any body tell me that why i'm facing such problem? Kindly provide me the correct solution to get rid of the above issue.

Re: Fedora serial port changing control signals

A common problem is sharing interrupt 4 with another serial port, do you ttyS2 also on the system? If so you would need to disable it either by removing the hardware or using setserial. Fedora 10 is installed on an IBM Thinkpad 600X. Prior to installing Fedora the laptop had Windows XP and the com1 port worked with hyperterm without any problem.

The Fedora Project is a Red Hat-sponsored and community-supported open source project. If you're trying to go from Minicom out to a Cisco router, you should just have to fire up Minicom, for that you need to set your device to be /dev/ttyS0 and set the baud/parity/etc/ in there.

Even i used to face such problem, where none of my serial ports were detected in Fedora6.I believe that xen has something to do with it. It appears that xen hijacks ttyS0. I have reassigned the xen tty port but setserial /dev/ttyS0 still doesnt work. You shouldn't have to do anything with setserial, and you don't want to get rid of the CTS/DSR/CD/RI either you need them all for successful serial connections. I know for a fact that my serial ports are working, they work fine in Windows and other versions of linux.