Thread: The remote connection has timed out

The remote connection has timed out

Hello all!

I am encountering a problem when trying to connect to a remote server using the Windows XP Pro (SP2) Remote Desktop. The domain user keeps getting the following error:

The remote connection has timed out. Please try connecting to the remote computer again.

Now when I log on using an account with admin rights this does not happen which means that there seems to be a Group Policy setting being applied thus preventing normal users from connecting remotely. We have a Domain Group Policy in place but when checking the settings I cannot seem to find what particular GP setting/s is causing this.
    Could someone please help me troubleshoot this problem?

Many thanks
    Pierre

Re: The remote connection has timed out

First check the firewall settings at the remote computers, and also confirm that all the machines in your internal LAN are functioning properly with RDP.

Refer to this microsoft guide: Troubleshooting General Remote Desktop Error Messages

The firewall is not interfering with the connection. The server is a demo server which is hosted at a supplier. The problem cropped up when one of our domain users tried to connect via Remote Desktop. But when I tried connecting myself with my domain account because I am a sys admin I could connect to this server without any issues. So that is why I am confused as to what could be causing this problem. My suspicion is the GPO but when I checked the settings there didn't seem to be any settings applied.

The remote connection has timed out. Please try connecting to the remote computer again.
    The above error message pops up either when the terminal server disconnected your session because you did not send a response within the time limit set for responses or you are on slow network connection. Try connecting to the terminal server again at a later point of time.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdivision View Post
    My suspicion is the GPO but when I checked the settings there didn't seem to be any settings applied.
    Try to change and apply a GP settings and see if you can connect to the server...

Quote Originally Posted by big fish View Post
    The above error message pops up either when the terminal server disconnected your session because you did not send a response within the time limit set for responses or you are on slow network connection. Try connecting to the terminal server again at a later point of time.
    I don't think speed is an issue here as it would happen to me also.