Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Advantages and limitations of Layer 2 of the OSI model

Networking & Security

Old 27-07-2009

Advantages and limitations of Layer 2 of the OSI model

I am learning networking from online books available. I have reached to OSI model. I have read that we are having 7 layers in OSI model namely Application Layer, Presentation Layer, Session Layer, Transport Layer, Network Layer, Data Link Layer, Physical Layer. I would like to know what is the use of Data Link Layer (Layer 2) of the OSI model? Please help!

Old 27-07-2009

Re: Advantages and limitations of Layer 2 of the OSI model

The Data Link Layer is Layer 2 of the seven-layer OSI model of computer networking. The Data Link Layer is the protocol layer which transfers data between adjacent network nodes in a wide area network or between nodes on the same local area network segment. The Data Link Layer provides the functional and procedural means to transfer data between network entities and might provide the means to detect and possibly correct errors that may occur in the Physical Layer.
Old 27-07-2009

This layer deals with getting data across a specific medium and individual links by providing one or more data link connections between two network entities. The Data-Link layer ensures that an initial connection has been set up, divides output data into data frames, and handles the acknowledgements from a receiver that the data arrived successfully.
Old 27-07-2009

The Data Link Layer is concerned with local delivery of frames between devices on the same LAN. Protocols that operate at the Data Link layer have several responsibilities, including creating, transmitting, and receiving frames. In short, the Data Link layer takes raw data from the Physical layer and gives it a logical structure. The frames are maintained in the correct sequence and there are facilities for Flow control and Quality of Service parameters such as Throughput, Service Availability and Transit Delay.

TechArena Community > Technology > Networking & Security
Tags: , , , ,