Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Router Firmware - BIN File

Networking & Security

Old 24-07-2009

Router Firmware - BIN File

Hi Folks,

I just collected the latest version of firmware for my linksys wireless-B broadband router (BEFW11S4). But the file that was downloaded is a .bin file.I don't know What I do with it to update my router's firmware?

Any thoughts??

Old 24-07-2009

Re: Router Firmware - BIN File

Bin files / images are just that... binary data that is handled by some other utility and / or know procedure... they can include any stuff...Though some images are compressed e.g. zip, bz, bz2 and tar files...

On the other hand... sometimes the images also have encryption built into them... which means you really have to tackle the installer's code and not the bin file to find out what is hapepning..This last bit can differ from manufacturer to manufacturer... and even between different versions or releases by the same manufacturer.But now they did a number of enhancements and want to keep some parts secret so companies using the new chips are REQUIRED to encode their bins / images to meet non-disclosure agreements and such...

If possible get ethereal or wireshark... if the AP allows you to do ethernet updates then you may very well be able to turn on sniffing on that wire, do the update and grab the decoded version of the update.There are also tricks for doing the same thing through USB etc.
Old 24-07-2009

Visit to your routers homepage go to the administration tab , which brings you several ways to select the firmware upgrade.It will request some thing like this,Please select a file to upgrade ______________________ Browse.Click on the browse button and locate where you saved your firmware bin file.once you locate your file scroll down and click on upgrade. This may take a few seconds and when the meter is done click on the continue button and u should have an updated firmware for your router
Old 24-07-2009

In order to accomplish this open your web browser and go to 192.168.1.1 .In the User name leave blank & in Password admin in lower case..Go to Administration tab then select the Firmware Upgrade and browse the .bin firmware file and perform the Upgrade. After that make an reboot to lead back to the same page.Reset your router if it tells Page cannot be displayed,Press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds.....Un attach the power cable from your router, wait for 30 seconds and re-attch the power cable.in order to re-configure your router...

TechArena Community > Technology > Networking & Security
Tags: , , ,