Thread: How to setup workgroup in windows 2003 server

How to setup workgroup in windows 2003 server

Hi,
    I want to setup a new work group in window server 2003. I need all the steps and guide regarding it. I am newbie in windows server so I am not much aware about the environment. But I am quiet familiar with the topology. Also which is best to setup a domain server or a workgroup server. Can I have both on the system. How to set a printer for sharing in a workgroup and install a DHCP server in a workgroup. Thanks in advance.

Re: How to setup workgroup in windows 2003 server

No machine can have a both domain and a workgroup network at a same time. It will risk your systems safety. You cannot configure it anyway. Either go for a domain or workgroup. If you need a large area scope then domain is the best option for you. Normally it is deals with huge security risk if a network is assigned both the things. You will set you system on instability. Here the home will not any permission to view the resources of the network.

First install the DHCP service on the server where you want. Because by default it is not installed in windows server 2003. You will have to manually configure it. To configure it go to control panel and click on add or remove programs. Then in the box click on windows component. Then in the wizard select networking services and then click on details. Now in the resulting box click on the ynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) box and then click on ok. Again the wizard click on next to run the setup. In the windows server disc and let the service to install. After that restart the machine.

Printer sharing is easy on the server. First install the printer and then go to the Printer & Faxes form start menu. Search your printer and then right click on it to enable sharing and printing. If gives errors or it is not visible then you will need to re-install or configure it properly. After enabling the sharing the printer will available on the network for use.