Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Malicious Software Removal Tool won't open

Networking & Security

Old 22-07-2009

Malicious Software Removal Tool won't open

I have downloaded malicious software removal tool and installed in my Windows system, few days back. I use to run the software once a week in order to keep my Windows System up-to-date and and free from viruses. But yesterday, when I tried to open the malicious software removal tool to run, it doesn't open. What is the problem ? can anybody please suggest how can I open and make it run again.......please help

thanks

Old 22-07-2009

Re: Malicious Software Removal Tool won't open

You can manually run the Malicious Software Removal Tool, follow the steps below :
  • Go to Start >> select Run >> type MRT >> press Enter.
  • A screen will be displayed, click on Next button.
  • The removal tool usually runs the Quick Scan, but for more thorough results, choose Full Scan >> click Next
  • The Malicious Software Removal Tool will scan your entire hard drive for infections and problems.
  • If you click on the View Detailed Results of the Scan option on the Results page, you should see which viruses, worms, and trojans the removal tool scanned for and if an infection was found.
  • Click Finish on the Scan Results page to exit the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool
Old 22-07-2009

Where Malicious Software Removal Tool (MRT) is located ?
MRT is located in WINDOWS\system32 and is named as MRT.EXE. You can check for MRT at this location.

Then, from Start -- Run -- copy and paste "mrt" (without quotes) into the command line and click OK.
Wait for a while. After sometime, the tool should open. Click the Next button.
Put a mark next to 'Full Scan' -- click Next and perform a Full Scan
Old 22-07-2009

MSR tool -

Brief Description - This tool checks your computer for infection by specific, prevalent malicious software (including Blaster, Sasser, and Mydoom) and helps to remove the infection if it is found.

For more information, visit the following microsoft site -

CLICK HERE

TechArena Community > Technology > Networking & Security
Tags: , , , ,