Thread: How to restore linksys WRT54GL firmware

How to restore linksys WRT54GL firmware

I have linksys WRT54GL router, can anyone here tell how to restore the original Linksys firmware to the router. I have search lot on the internet but end up with nothing will someone light on this matter.

Re: How to restore linksys WRT54GL firmware

Either you may Restore factory defaults with the original firmware. or Upgrade to Linksys firmware version 4.21.1. Then upgrade to DD-WRT v23sp2_mini_generic. I got the Continue page, but never got the DD-WRT GUI. Or The easiest way is to upload the LinkSys original firmware using the OpenWRT web interface. the majority of aftermarket firmware won't work on the WRT54G v5's crippled hardware, the WRT54GL is now your only Linksys option for third-party-compatible fun if you can't score an older model.

When WRT54G router first released its original version, at that time, a network router, 10/100 Ethernet switch, and wireless access point all rolled into one, the WRT54G blazed a happy trail as one of the earliest home networking devices to have its firmware source code made publicly available under the GNU General Public License(GPL). With four wired ports and the wireless connection, you're ready to take on the Internet and all it has to offer. So I located and tried to install a newer linksys firmware load - same results. I then loaded up netscape, turned off the blockers, configured it to open popups in a new tab, choose the newer linksys firmware and pressed update.

According to Linksys, this change allowed them to decrease the memory footprint of the OS and reduce the hardware requirements while maintaining a similar feature set at a reduced cost. Or maybe you just need a local network off the 'Net for your small office. Maybe you'll hook your desktop up by cable, and carry your wireless laptop to your favorite seat. Control and configuration are easy with browsers like Internet Explorer 8 or Firefox 3.0. I used IE to get the linksys firware to use dd-wrt.v24-9517_VINT_mini and "Upgrade is successful" from the unit.