Thread: D-Link Router Problem - Unable To Watch Certain Video Content

D-Link Router Problem - Unable To Watch Certain Video Content

Hi all, first post. I've posted on other forums, with no luck, so I'll ask the experts!

I've been having this problem for a while on certain sites - especially mlb.com and bbc.co.uk. When I click on a video, I'll get a "video loading" or "your video will start shortly", but nothing happens.

I'm 99% sure it's a router problem (D-Link DI-524, FW 2.07 - most up-to-date FW supported here) - I get a "transferring data from 192.168.0.1" message, and all videos will play if I disable encryption, but obviously I don't want to do that. The incredibly unhelpful D-Link "support" in my country have suggested using other encryptions, and lowering the MTU from 1500 to 1400, neither suggestion helps. My current encryption is WPA2-PSK (AES).

I've tried:

* IE (default browser is FF)
    * Flash 9/10
    * All other encryption configs in router
    * Re-installation of every media plugin I have
    * Updating/rolling back video card drivers (ATI Mobility X1800)
    * FWIW, Youtube works fine, as does live streaming from my homeland's net TV and mlb.com live games, for example.
    * Googling until my fingers hurt!

Many thanks for any help. Vista SP2 on a Dell M2010.

Re: D-Link Router Problem - Unable To Watch Certain Video Content

when you say youve tried all other configurations in router, is there option for exceptions with the encryption or the firewall to allow these sites access?
    also you could try port forwarding if you know what ports those sites use for their video feed.

just some ideas to look into...

Hi and thanks Hitman 23. Yes, there are firewall options available, but I've not enabled it, nor do I have any sites that I deny access to - I'm a careful surfer!

I can't find any exceptions with the encryption, but I'm guessing that's where the problem lies, because as as said I can watch all vids with encryption disabled.

I'll check port forwarding, but since everything was fine until about 4 months ago, any idea what could have changed in that regard?

Quote Originally Posted by xubi View Post
    I'll check port forwarding, but since everything was fine until about 4 months ago, any idea what could have changed in that regard?
    What do you mean by it was working about 4 months ago, did you installed any software after that or did you made any changes with the settings in the router? If yes then uninstall the software that you have installed or in other case, reset the router to the factory settings and then reconfigure the router.

May be the router's firmware is corrupt. Or its interfering when encryption is enabled. There no other reason i could think of... Try to upgrade your router's firmware, if its updated, try to install a previous firmware version... May be this could help...

i would also ask as another member did about the 4 months ago comment. did you update the router firmware at that time? if so it might be corrupt as another member mentioned. you could try re-installing the firmware or rolling back the firmware to previous version that worked if indeed you did update firmware. if you didnt update the firmware, now might be a good time to try it and see if it remedies your problem. i would try troubleshooting the things i stated below before playing with firmware if you havent done so yet.
    i would assume this is a wireless router you are using since you have encryption enabled. are you indeed using the wireless function with your pc? if so you might want to change the type of encryption that you are using as there are usually a few different options available for encryption.
    the other question i would have is regarding your pc...does it have a firewall on it? if so is it enabled? there could be a conflict with the encryption and the firewall on your pc. you could try disabling the pc firewall while the router encryption is on and see what happens...

Thanks again everyone.

I haven't installed any new software at all in the last 4 months (unless SP2 counts!)

I'm going to roll back the FW - I found another user who'd had problems with the same V2.07 FW I use on the same router.

@hitman 23 - I checked and disabled my software firewall (Windows - using the advanced options under administrative tools) - doesn't solve the problem. And as said, I'd already tried all the encryption options, 7 in all. Sorry, I should have said it's a wireless router.

@spyrus - I can't upgrade, V2,07 is the latest FW supported here, according to my local D-link support.

Rolling back now....