Thread: Cannot ping Windows server 2008

Cannot ping Windows server 2008

I have w computer which is a part of the peer to peer network. My computer has Windows XP SP2 and the other computer is with Windows 2008 Server Enterprise Edition. I cannot ping Windows server 2008 from my Windows XP computer. What may have went wrong? Can anyone help me to get it connected back to the server? Please help!! I have checked with the cable, is is properly connected and yes its working!

Re: Cannot ping Windows server 2008

Do you see a network connection icon on the taskbar? If you are not sure, right-click on My Network Places > Properties. There should be an icon saying Local Area Connection. If it says connected, there is some configuration problem, but if it local area connection is not shown there, you have not installed the drivers for the lan card. Install it and it will come up. Then ask your network admin to configure your computer for network use.

The driver for my lan card is installed properly and the network icon at the right-bottom is shown, but still i cannot ping the Windows 2008 server. What configurations do i need to make? I have just re-installed windows XP on my computer again. Well i have no network admin as this is my home computer that i use to connect to the Windows 2008 server at my house. I have the correct IP address and subnet mask, what else needs to be configured? Well i use the server just for sharing internet connection and file sharing. Please help guys!

Check if your workgroup is same as windows 2008 server. If everything is same, you will need to have the same workgroup to get connected to the computer on the network, but this doesn't affect ICMP packets, that is ping. So i guess that something is wrong with the TCP/IP configuration. Check your computer's IP address, subnet, gateway, DNS server, etc... All the best!