Thread: creating server farm error occured

creating server farm error occured

I have done installation of MOSS with the option 'serverfarm' and central admin and creation top level site works fine but the problem is with MySite which gives an error and there are no entry in event viewer also. I also made separate applications for top level sites and MySite but nothing worked. So, can anyone help me how to create a server farm? Thank you

Re: creating server farm error occured

I think that you might have forgot to create a shared services server and setup MySite as shared services application. This way the error message will get disappeared.
    Then you will have some following sites visible in IIS:
    - Default Web Site (I use for Exchange 2007, gives trouble if shared
    with MOSS)
    - Sharepoint Central Administration v3
    - ToplevelPortal
    - SharedServices
    - MySite
    - OfficeServerWebServices

Have you also tried to create "Geneva" Server Farm:
    Consider installing additional “Geneva” servers in a server farm when you have a larger "Geneva" Server deployment and you want to provide fault tolerance, load-balancing, or scalability to your organization's Federation Service. The act of creating two or more “Geneva” servers in the same network, configuring each of them to use the same SQL Server policy store, and adding the public key of each server's token-signing certificates to the "Geneva" Server Management snap-in creates a “Geneva” server farm.

Before “Geneva” servers can be grouped as a farm, they must first be clustered so that requests that arrive at a single fully qualified domain name (FQDN) are routed to the various “Geneva” servers in the server farm. You can create the server cluster by deploying Network Load Balancing (NLB) inside the corporate network. This guide assumes that NLB has been configured appropriately to cluster each of the “Geneva” servers in the farm.

For more information about how to configure a cluster FQDN using Microsoft NLB technology, see Specifying the Cluster Parameters (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=74651).

You did not mention whether this is a single server SharePoint installation or whether the SQL Server lives on another machine.

The reason why this is important is because you can save a lot of time by simply building up a new server, installing SharePoint to the same patch level as your original server, and connecting the new one to your existing server farm. Then run SharePoint Configuration Wizard on the old server to disconnect it from the existing SharePoint config, and finally amend your DNS entries.