Thread: How to install patch panel

How to install patch panel

Hi,

I have just purchased several routers and switches. I want to purchase a cat 5e patch panel. I am just wondering how hard it is to install it. However, the only thing I haven't done so far is install a patch panel. I have installed the Patch Panel and hub/switch/router in a small (maybe 6 RU) wall mounted cabinet.

Help me !!!

Re: How to install patch panel

Take the blade out and insert it back into the tool in the other direction like a reversable screwdriver and you have punch and cut. If you wanted you could install a shelf into the rack to house the switch/hub/router, alternatively you could simply place them onto the bottom of the rack. Don't forget that CAT5's only shielding to RF noise comes from the cables being twisted.

To Install the Inline-Power Patch Panel, follow the steps below

a. Place the inline-power patch panel on the floor or on a sturdy table as close as possible to the rack. Leave enough clearance to allow you to move around the chassis.

b. Use a tape measure to measure the depth of the rack. Measure from the outside of the front mounting posts to the outside of the rear mounting strip. The depth must be at least 19.25 inches (48.9 cm) but not greater than 32 inches (81.3 cm).

c. Measure the space between the inner edges of the left front and right front mounting posts to ensure that it is 17.75 inches (45.09 cm) wide. (The chassis is 17.5 inches [44 cm] wide and must fit between the mounting posts.)

d. Open the rack-mount kit and see the component checklist to verify that all parts are included.

Source : cisco

I would strongly recommend that you go on one of the training courses that good cabling companies provide. Also would i be better off wiring the cable to the back the patch panel from the hub/switch so i can just plug and devices into the patch panel. You may not really need a patch panel, but the experience is invaluable.