Thread: Vpn giving me 169 ip Address

Vpn giving me 169 ip Address

Hello, I have a windows server 2003 connected with a vpn Windows XP, everything works fine except that there's software on the server 2003 that must send a request to ping using the computer name in xp yo verify that that data is transferred every hour. the problem is that Neither computer is able to ping the other with the name are the only way I have managed to do it by entering the IP address and name in the Host. The problem is that whenever the computer is restarted they would change address.

Both computers have addresses 192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x network on their respective local but VPN gives me 169.xxx ipadress address

The solution I am looking for is to be able to get a fixed address on my vpn or get a ping directly from local address , If you have any other solution that would be too perfect, then please suggest it to me ,

Re: Vpn giving me 169 ip Address

You should assign a DHCP pool in the properties of the connection from Server 2003. About the same address as the beginning of your Server 2003, When using ipconfig command on a VPN (server or client), you may get PPP adapter RAS Server (Dial In) Interface; IP Address - 169.x.x.x; Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.255. This is because your VPN server doesn't have DHCP to assign IP so that the the VPN server uses APIPA to provides an address like 169.x.x.x.

an address in 169.xxx is for the DHCP pool that is a reserved range, this is what i understand about it or it may be a fact that you have dynamic ip, You may be needed to set up your static routes on the VPN server properly and/or make sure use default gateway on remote network is ticked in your TCP/IP properties for the VPN connection.

Your IP may not be compatible, this is because your network interface which is set to retrive automatic IP addressing cannot be getting their IP address from the DHCP server , Do this Start -> Run -> type "cmd" -> type ipconfig / all Then look under "DHCP enabled" and see if it says "yes." then try this:
    Start -> Run -> type "cmd" -> type "ipconfig/release" then "ipconfig/renew"
    And check whether you have access to other computer

Most of the time when you see an IP of 169.XXX.XXX.X it is an IP assigned by Windows not by your modem / router. The first thing I would check is th NIC connection. Right click on My Computer and open the Device Manager to make sure the NIC is functioning properly. If the NIC is operating properly there may be a problem with the modem / router. The IP from the modem / router should be 192.168.1.X: Call your DSL provider or your ISP.