Thread: How to build a NAS box

How to build a NAS box

Can any one tell me what is NAS?. I have network of 8 computer and every time i need to transfer data to my client. Can i use Network-attached storage (NAS) in my network so it will reduce or save time utilize by administrator.

Re: How to build a NAS box

Network-attached storage (NAS) is file-level computer data storage connected to a computer network providing data access to heterogeneous network clients. The operating system and other software on the NAS unit provide the functionality of data storage, file systems, and access to files, and the management of these functionalities.

NAS challenges the traditional file server approach by creating systems designed specifically for data storage. A general-purpose operating system is not needed on a NAS device, and often minimal-functionality or stripped-down operating systems are used.Using traditional LAN protocols such as TCP/IP over Ethernet, the NAS enables additional storage to be quickly added by plugging it into a network hub or switch. As network transmission rates have increased from Ethernet to Fast Ethernet to Gigabit Ethernet, NAS devices have come up to speed parity with direct attached storage devices.

You need software FreeNAS 0.7RC1 to Build A NAS Box. Also reuired USB Thumb Drive,Motherboard,CPU, Case, Memory,Videocard, Optical Drive, Power Supply,One or More Hard Drives.