Thread: Configure MX record

Configure MX record

I am configuring my Microsoft Exchange 2003 server. I reached to the point where you need to configure your MX records to specify where your emails should be routed. But I am stuck at this place. I don't know how to configure MX records. Can you provide me the steps to configure MX records?

Re: Configure MX record

An MX record or Mail Exchanger record is a type of resource record in the DNS specifying how email should be routed using SMTP. Each MX record contains a preference and a host name, so that the collection of MX records for a given domain name point to the servers that should receive e-mail for that domain, and their priority relative to each other. MX Records must be in the following format:
    domain.com IN MX Preference mail.domain.com
    The Preference field is relative to any other MX Record for the zone and can be on any value between 0 and 65535. Low values are more preferred.

Re: Configure MX record

An MX Record is a Mail Exchange record that points mail programs to your mail servers. To create an MX record, perform the following steps:

1. Right-click your forward lookup zone, <Domain.com> and then click New Record.
    2. Select MX Record from the Record Type list box in the New Resource Record dialog box.
    3. The Host Name (Optional) field is used for the host name of the mail server. However, if you want users to be able to send mail to your domain using the format USER@Domain.com, then leave the Host Name field blank.
    NOTE: If the MX record contains the hostname, sending mail to user@domain.com may not work. There are three ways to resolve this. First, remove the hostname from the MX record as described in step 3. Second, after the MX record is created with the hostname, create an "A" record for the domain that has no hostname. Third, delete the existing MX record and re-create it once again.
    4. Type the FQDN of the mail server in the Mail Exchange Server DNS Name, for example, Mail.domain.com.
    NOTE: There is a trailing dot, ".", after the Mail Exchange Server DNS Name. The FQDN that is used for the Mail Exchange Server must have a corresponding A record for that domain. If the Mail Exchange Server is a different computer than the DNS Server, the DNS Server must know where to redirect the mail traffic.
    5. The Preference Number is any number from 0 to 65535. In the case of multiple mail servers, this number identifies which mail server is to be used first. The lower the preference number, the higher the priority.
    6. Click OK.