Thread: Connecting from linux server remotely to windows share

Connecting from linux server remotely to windows share

I am trying to get this done but can't find a way. Can any one help me in Connecting from linux server remotely to windows share? I have setup shares on Windows Computer at home and i have this linux server at office. How do i connect the remote server which is linux to my windows share. Please help guys!

Re: Connecting from linux server remotely to windows share

I would not recommend you to use the Linux Server to connect to your home PC, If there is some problem with the server, the entire network will be down. And this might cause a serious problem. BTW, why do you want to connect the server with the home computer's shares? Don't try such stuff from a live server...

I have high-speed internet connections at both the places so i took a backup of the server to my home computer's hard disk. Now after a fresh install i want to copy the backed up data to the sever and i am not trying to experiment it. I just did not get the hard disk here and my computer is on the internet, so want to get the backup back on the server. Thanks!

Make sure you have shared the data that you want to access or you remember the password for the administrator's account. If you have no password, linux will not be able to access the windows share. If everything is as described above, you can proceed. Make sure you are connected to internet. Open a file browser and in the address by type the following code :
    Code:
    smb://ip-address-of-you-home-computer
    Now this ask for username and password for windows account. Login with Administrators password. It will be slower depending on the internet connection's speed.