Thread: What do you need for Gigabit internet connection?

What do you need for Gigabit internet connection?

I want to purchase a dlink dgl-4100 gigabit router, so I want to know, What do I need for Gigabit internet? Anyway, a couple of my computers have a gigabit ethernet adapter, and i am wondering if the price of the gigabit routers are worth buying it. What type of network cable do you need to run gigabit?

Re: What do you need for Gigabit internet connection?

Cat5e is the minimum for using Gigabit. Category 5 cable, is a twisted pair high signal integrity cable type often referred to as Cat5. Many such cables are unshielded but some are shielded. Category 5 cable includes twisted pairs in a single cable jacket. This use of balanced lines helps preserve a high signal-to-noise ratio despite interference from both external sources and other pairs.

Re: What do you need for Gigabit internet connection?

Gigabit ethernet will help if you're on a network and you are transfering data within the network. It's only the local computer to computer transfers that can really run at gigabit speed, and those will go directly from the switch port to the other switch port, without having to make a round-trip through the router. You just need a gigabit NICs and if you're connected via a switch/router, need that to be gigabit capable.