Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

How to put a password on network sharing

Networking & Security

Old 04-07-2009

How to put a password on network sharing

Hello, I have setup a wireless network called "workgroup" to share file/printer. My little brother accidentely deleted files on my shared folder and now he cannot access the shared file/printer. So I set it up again but to avoid this in future can anyone tell me how to put a password on network sharing so that I would be out of this trouble again. Thank you

Old 04-07-2009

Re: How to put a password on network sharing

Try typing the the workgroup/domain name with the user id: domain\user_name. Other things you can try are Simply Enable File and Print Sharing For Microsoft Networks on that machine or use the SFC /scannow command to fix any problems with that machine
Old 04-07-2009

You can also obtain the latest service pack for Microsoft Windows XP. For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389/EN-US/

Note: The "Hotfix download available" form displays the languages for which the hotfix is available. If you do not see your language, it is because a hotfix is not available for that language.
Old 04-07-2009

There are plenty password-recovery utilities that can read them. A particular danger here is if you've used the same password for several services, since being able to recover the cached one may then allow the intruder to compromise other services.

A better approach to a small-site network, doesn't demand that you upgrade to Pro, gives users a 'proper' logon, and will work with a desktop OS as the fileserver for <10 users.

The Greatest Sig Ever

TechArena Community > Technology > Networking & Security
Tags: ,