Thread: Facebook IM being treated as a pop up by McAfee?

Facebook IM being treated as a pop up by McAfee?

I have McAfee Virus scan enterprise 8.7.0i, on windows Vista, just recently installed it. When I receive an IM from facebook chat, it locks my typing on any other window I have open, for example if I am typing something in the google search bar. I cannot type unless I return to the facebook chat IM window. This just started happening, does the same thing on another laptop which has the same virus scan which causes me to believe this is what is causing this very annoying problem. Any idea on how to fix this? Thanks much.

Re: Facebook IM being treated as a pop up by McAfee?

If you are in the admin rights , then open your McAfee Security Center and click on the lower corner you should find the options necessary to disable the page blocker.

Hope this help .

Right click on M icon in your system tray at the bottom right hand corner of your desktop, select Privacy Service then Options.

Type http://www.facebook.com/ into the allowed sites box and then click the Add Button.

This should disable the Mcafee pop-up blocker for facebook messages.

As we all know, Facebook is not a messenger but involves a web based chatting, so I don't understand what you are talking about. How can a web page give you a popup. And then also if it does then that should be the browser setting that you might have kept. Please check it and get it solved. If I am wrong somewhere then please correct me with details.

thanks for the reply everyone. and ok, maybe it's not being treated as a "pop up" exactly, but there is something there that mcafee keeps wanting to block, i've asked a friend, she said the same thing has happened to her and she does have mcafee installed, though I believe that I am not using the same version of McAfee as Shen and Worm4u described, the icon is blue shield with a "v" in it. I've tried to find those settings or anything similar to it, but I'm afraid this version of mcafee is not so user friendly...ugh..

That indicates you are just having the VirusScan shield of McAfee which checks each and every program for viruses and other malwares and if certain application is doing some other activities then what it is supposed to then it simply bring it to the user notification. Basically this is not the complete antivirus removal software but it tells the user if an application is supposed to have a virus. So in my opinion and according to my experience remove this software and install the complete suite of antivirus in order to remove the viruses.

thanks, it seems that you're right. this version doesn't really have customizable settings/configurations... which virus/antispyware would you recommend?