Thread: Delete old norton virus defs

Delete old norton virus defs

I had installed Norton antivirus program on my system. Whenever i try to scan my pc, it fails to detect viruses from my system. Even i try to update it, it doesn't get updated. So, i tried to uninstall it, but i can see the some old old norton virus defs still lying on my pc. So, can any body tell me that how can i delete old norton virus defs from my pc? Does any body knows about it? Kindly provide me the correct solution for the above issue.

Re: Delete old norton virus defs

I think it only happens only if the current def set is been corrupted, deleted, etc, then .dat file will automatically will point to the "backup set". The number of Scan Omission errors in the Event Log is larger than normal. You need to know how to revert to an earlier set of virus definitions.

Probably, it's a definition inside that looks externally as the virus itself. I tried out to remove it manually from my system, for that you need to follow teh below steps mention. In c:\program files\common files\symantec shared\virusdefs:
    1. Delete the most recent folder containing a virus def. In this case its 20061025.039
    2. Edit definfo.dat to match the redaced number of virus defs. In this case CurDefs changes to 20061024.020 and last defs changes to 20060930.002
    3. Edit usage.dat. There should be one "date" indication followed by a list of sav components.

In this case, there's no need to delete Norton's definitions. Deleting would not not possible probably because the definitions-file is set as read-only or owned by different user. Do not run the *x86.exe Intelligent Updater on an AntiVirus server that manages clients. Use the .xdb file instead.