Thread: Intermittent loss of Internet across network bridge

Intermittent loss of Internet across network bridge

Hi,

I have an issue with my PC set up that I seem unable to resolve.

I have a wireless router attached to a cable modem and a PC (PC1) with a wireless NIC. PC1 is also attached to a second computer (PC2) by a crossover cable. I want to run PC2 as a messaging hub (MSM, Skype) and FTP server. For this reason I have created a network bridge between the wireless connection and the wired connection. I have assigned static IPs to the network bridge and to PC2.

Intermittently, and for a minute or two at a time, PC2 loses its Internet connection. Obviously this isn't what you want when you are Skyping, etc. I can't load pages in browsers, use messaging, etc. The Skype tray icon whirls as it seeks a connection. However, whilst this is happening, I can browse the web on PC1 and on both PCs I can browse the shared folders on the other computer in explorer - that's 'cos it uses a different protocol from TCP/IP right?

There are no errors in the log. I've tried a variety of IP and network configurations, e.g. QOS on/off, etc. I'm not really a network guy so I'm really just pushing buttons. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Re: Intermittent loss of Internet across network bridge

Why don't you connect the 2nd PC to the router directly? Is it that i am not understanding what you need to work? Please elaborate in detail... May be i could help..?

Thanks for your reply. BTW I posted the topic twice as I got a DB error message, sorry.

The wireless router is my living room as the cable comes in the wall there but I want to be able to use both PCs at the desk in the spare bedroom. I have them both using the same monitor and Synergy as a software KVM switch (http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/).

PC2 is old, it's a PIII, MATX form factor and runs fairly slowly but it should be up to a bit of browsing, etc. If I remember correctly the wireless NIC doesn't work very well with it. I had a Belkin wireless USB dongle attached to it originally but that was a can of worms in itself, kept falling over and seemed to be interfering with PC1 wireless reception.

Ok, bridging networks, slows up your network and internet connection. Instead, if you have a wireless usb dongle, then you can make a directional antenna for better reception. Make an antenna by yourself. make a curved surface by a cardboard and then pack it with an aluminum foil or you can just use the foil. The inner surface of the curved antenna should be facing the direction of the other room where the router is located. See this video for more detail : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqnHz75dmQY

Thanks. I guess I could go back to using the dongle but, as I said, it had problems too.

The loss of Internet (or TCP/IP) is intermittent but for a regular amount of time each time it drops, i.e. it seems like a software/network issue rather than the reception (and obviously PC1 is working fine when this is happening). I just think that there might be a configuration solution to this but I don't have the skillz to diagnose it.

Are there any freeware alternatives to the XP bridge that you would recommend?