Thread: Open Port 23 on Windows XP Machine

Open Port 23 on Windows XP Machine

How can I open port 23 to activate the telnet service. I want to setup telnet network in my windows machine. I am now stuck to this issue. I tried to but could not get any result. It shows that the firewall it blocking the program. I had norton antivirus in my system. So it can also create problem here. How can I configure the port 23 is the by default port for telnet to bypass it form the firewall. I tried by turning the firewall off but it not secure. Help.

Re: Open Port 23 on Windows XP Machine

Basically your antivirus program does has any issue with the ports. The ports are usually block by windows firewall to avoid unauthorized incoming connections. If you switch off all ports are open. But when you turned the firewall you you will need to configure the port under firewall in the exception list. Then the port will be accessbile.

To configure the port so that it can bypass the firewall you will have to add it in the exception list of windows firewall. You can access it from the control panel. Second option is go to Start Menu and click on Run. Type telnet/? and hit enter. Some options will be listed in associate to Telnet. Look at the result and configure the telnet service. Good Luck.

I am listing a complete procedure to open port 23 for the telnet service. You will need to follow each and every steps to get it work better. First go to start menu > run. Type cmd. Make sure you are log in as a administrator. Launch Task Manager by Pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del.
    1. Then Go to the process tab and click on View.
    2. Click on Select Column and tick on PID.
    3. Locate you process which you want to bypass.
    4. Note down the PID of the process.
    5. Then Go to Start Menu > Run > cmd.
    6. Type notepad netstat.txt. A notepad file will popup.
    7. In the file look for the PID number in the second column of Local Address.
    8. Note down the TCP Port Number.
    9. Then go to Start Menu > Control Panel > Firewall. Or type wscui.cpl in the run box and press enter.
    10. Click on Firewall > Exception > Add port > assign name and the port number you noted down > OK.
    11. If you want you can select the scope for the port in the same box before clicking OK.

Easy solution would be to setup a VM and do any testing necessary from your windows environment to the VM environment. If you have the gear setup a dedicated machine to act as a server host for all the VM's, Before you know it you could have 40+ diff machines running individual process'.

Good luck.