Thread: What is aawtray.exe

What is aawtray.exe

I have seen aawtray.exe file in the Task Manager. Is this file a virus. Do I need to close this file. I am not sure about this. When I kill the process it pop-up back again when I switch my system back. My pc is sharing a broadband net so I worry that it can be a threat. I need some information on this file. If it is a threat then how can I remove.

Re: What is aawtray.exe

It is not a virus. It is a lavaosft ad-adware file. I think you had installed this antivirus on your system. As exe is executable file so the user sometime get confuse. It is used to display the icon of lavasoft ad-adware icon on the system tray. The location of file is C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWTray.exe. Here c:\ is the default windows drive. Check out that the file is same as what you say. Because some virus have a similar name also. If you uninstall the application it will go.

The description of file is that it is a ad-adware system tray icon. If you kill the process the icon on the system tray will go. But if you ad-adware it not recommended to so. It is an file related to antivirus. It is located in the lavasoft directry. When you install the application it is configured to start up entry and launched automatically when the system boots up. You see the file in the startup folder in the start menu. It is not a threat.

It seems to be okay. The security threat rating to this file is 0%. The file is signed digitally by Verisign. Digitally signed means that it is a trusted file and accepted by the windows. It initiates the tray icon of ad-adware tool. If you do not have ad-adware antivirus then this is definitely a threat. Kill the process from Task Manager and Run a search process in My computer. Locate the file and delete it. Run a full system scan in safe mode.