Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

How to Monitor traffic using Wireshark

Networking & Security

Old 26-06-2009

How to Monitor traffic using Wireshark

I wanted to keep to keep my home network monitored and keep track of the usage. I have dsl network at home using Wireshark. Currently I could see traffic only from the machine that I use to monitor. I have DSL setup at home on the DSL modem, i have made the setup using through Ethernet port on modem to connect to WAN port on my DSL router. Through the existing DSL router i connect wired Internet connection to other several PCs and laptops. I tried to use Ethereal to monitor traffic and can only see traffic from one machine. Can anyone suggest how do i monitor traffic of all the attached PC's and Laptop using Wireshark.

Old 26-06-2009

Re: How to Monitor traffic using Wireshark

Might be easier to setup wireshark. Might also look at dd-wrt or openwrt for other features. Wireshark will only work to monitor all comps on the LAN IF all comps are connected to a hub, not a switch. (connect all to a hub and connect the hub to the router switch) You can't monitor traffic on a switch unless the switch is a managed switch, as the type in the home router. A switch sends ONLY the data to and from the specific IP address whereas a hub sends data to all ip addresses connected to it.
Old 26-06-2009

You will probably recognize some of the things right away, such as IP addresses and MAC addresses, Use a switch/hub to connect to your router, then, install the SNMP client (without server) in the linux box, you can start monitoring! Wireshark is not a good practice, it use for troubleshooting and high level of monitoring, if you feel it fine for you, no harm for you to try, but using git, you will feel that it would be working much faster.
Old 26-06-2009

wireshark i would quickly use the filter box to filter http packets then i would use the find packet search option to search for a packet, There are generally three frames. I have labeled them as Frame 1, Frame 2, and Frame 3. Frame 1 shows you an overview of what packets came in and when out of your network.

TechArena Community > Technology > Networking & Security
Tags: , , ,