Thread: How to share a drive on network with XP

How to share a drive on network with XP

Hi i am new to this community. I was searching about i tip but dint got.Actually i am using Windows Xp at my office and i need to share my D drive on the network. Frankly speaking i am not aware of how to do this. Could you guys make me know how can i share a XP drive on network ?

Re: How to share a drive on network with XP

With Windows XP, you can share files and documents with other users on your computer and with other users on a network. There is a new user interface (UI) named Simple File Sharing and a new Shared Documents feature.To share a drive on the network with Windows XP, follow these steps:-

First of all open My computer and locate the drive you want to share, in your case its D.

Right click the D drive and and click on Sharing and Security from the context menu.

If you drive, under the Sharing tab shares, click if you understand the risk but still the root of the drive to share, click here.

Now under the Sharing tab check mark both the boxes for the Option Share this folder on the network and Allow network users to change my files. First Option allows you to make the contents of the drive or the cover to be available to other users on the network. And with second option allows network users to change files over the network.

Once done Click Apply, and then click Ok. Thats it.. Your drive is shared on the network.

You can map shared drives and shared folders. When you access a shared drive or folder you can also access subfolders if you have the appropriate permissions. However, you cannot map a drive for a subfolder that is not explicitly configured as a shared resource.

• To connect a drive from My Computer, click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Explore.

• To connect a drive from Windows Explorer, right-click Start, and then click Explore.

• On the Tools menu, click Map Network Drive.

• In the Drive box, click a drive letter.

• In the Folder box, type the UNC path for the server and shared resource in the following format: \\server name\share name. You can also click Browse to find the computer and shared resource.

In future if you need to disconnected from a mapped network drive than :-

• Go to Start, and then click My Computer.

• Right-click the icon for the mapped drive.

• Click Disconnect.