Thread: Steps to Setup a wireless Lan

Steps to Setup a wireless Lan

Please help me to achieve wireless connectivity with this required config...

Here's what i have
    1. A broadband connection
    2. ip address, subnet mask,default gateway,pref dns ,alt dns (porvided by my service provider)
    3. D Link 502T modem
    4. D Link DIR 300

How i m presently connecting to the internet
    1. from the DSL modem(502T) i have a ethernet cable to my PC
    2. then, in the ipv4 settings i put the ip address, subnet mask,default gateway,pref dns ,alt dns (porvided by my service provider)

Here's the Toplogy of the network i want to achieve

1. D Link 502T modem connected to the incoming broadband connection and an ethernet cable from there to the Wireless Router D link DIR-300

2. From Wireless Router an ethernet cable to my Desktop and of course, it should enable me to wirelessly connect to the internet from my desktop as well as any mobile device like my laptop, cellphone etc.

please tell me the steps to configure my wireless router specifically......

i m baffled as to where i should use the ip settings provided and the settings i should do on my pc, laptop and other mobile devices.....

Re: Steps to Setup a wireless Lan

To configure a router make sure that your host computer is connected to the internet. Open your browser and type 192.168.1.1, it will prompt you for a username and password. You can give your admin user name and password if any. Now select your PPPoE ( DSL ). In the field provide with the user name and password provided by your ISP. Save the configuration.

Connect your computer to any lan port of Dlink DIR-300 via an ethernet cable. Now set the ip address of the computer to 'Obtain Automatically'. Now once the network connection is established, open a web-browser and type in the address by the ip of the router, default is 192.168.1.1. It will ask for user id and password, Enter 'admin' for both and press Enter. Now Click on Wan under network settings. There put IP, subnet and other details there and select conenct automatically. Enable wireless radio. Now connect the D-Link 502 ADSL modem to the routher's wan port via ethernet cable. Reboot the router and ADSL Modem. Once both starts, your internet connection is up.

According to me, your setup would be altogether different from what Shen has advised you. Your initial connection is right "D Link 502T modem connected to the incoming broadband connection and an Ethernet cable from there to the Wireless Router D link DIR-300". Now open your router's web page by typing your router's IP address (generally it is 192.168.1.1) on your web browser which you will find in the user manual that came along with your router. This will ask you for the Username (usually "admin") and Password (usually blank) which you can find out in the user manual itself. Once you get logged in, under "Internet Connection Type" select "Static IP" but the critical part is here. Here you can also use "DHCP" over here if your modem includes DHCP server. Otherwise use the static ip only. Below this section, you will find IP address, Subnet Mask, Gateway, Primary DNS Address and Secondary DNS Address. Provide the input as you might have done on your modem again here is the critical part. The Gateway should be one of the modem's IP address and the IP address should be changed according to this gateway. The Subnet Mask will remain as it is. You can provide the same Primary DNS Address and Secondary DNS Address as used in the modem. Now Save all changes made and close the browser. Now open a new browser and try to open different site. You are done.

Hey unlimitedtech....thanks a lot for the reply.....to tell u the truth... i was trying out something similar but with DHCP.....i tried with static ip too...dunno why my initial attempt didn't work....but reading ur post and then doing it was kinda reassuring....and everything's working smoothly so far....so thanks a tonne !!!!