Thread: Default password of Netgear router

Default password of Netgear router

I am using Netgear WGT624 router from quiet a long time. During the router configuration, I have changed the name and password of the router. I even enabled the router's WEP security settings and have noted down the password on one of my diary. But my diary got lost last month. Now I wanted to add a new laptop in the network but because of no password, I am unable to do so. So I reset the router to its factory default using the reset button. But I forgot that I don't know even the default password of this router. However there should be someone who might be knowing and is willing to help me. Can you provide me the default password of my Netgear router?

Re: Default password of Netgear router

Do you have the user manual (either booklet or on CD) provided alongwith the router? If yes then the default password should be mentioned in that user manual. Just refer it. Otherwise the common username and passwords used by the router manufacturer's are

Username: netgear (manufacturer's name)
    Password: admin or password

If you have changed the default password and have forgotten the password, you may need to reset the NETGEAR device to factory default settings. If you have already done that but forgot the default password then here is the resolution:

Most of the NETGEAR devices have the following default username and password except ReadyNAS products and Fully Managed switches:

Username: admin
    Password: password

Netgear usually uses a default login of "admin" and a default password of "password." However if you are having an older router then the default password may be "1234". Since you are using a wireless router, immediately change the router's default password as soon as you gain the access in order to avoid any hackers attack. You said that you are using WEP for security, but in my opinion WPA is much better than WEP. WPA uses 256 bit encryption method for your passphrase which is considered as the most safest encryption technology now a days.