Thread: What is msntask.exe

What is msntask.exe

What is msntask.exe. This file is running in the task manager from a long period. Recently the antivirus program has detected some virus. But I had deleted all the files. I had killed the process but it launches again back. What is it actually I am unable to determine. Is this any virus. It can be possible because I had a broadband connection. But my firewall and other updates are proper. I need more information on this file. How can I remove it.

Re: What is msntask.exe

It is not a virus. If you had installed a msn toolbar in your browser then msntask.exe is file which execute the toolbar. This file uses a large amount of system resource and memory. And I don't think we can have any benefit out of it. So the conclusion is that if you do not use MSN then you will have to disable the service to increase the system performance. To disable it either delete any msn related shortcut from start up menu or stop it from msconfig file.

It is an MSN tool bar file. It not considered as virus but an recommended file if you are using the tool bar. To stop the file you can just simply uninstall the toolbar from Start Menu > Control Panel > Add/Remove Program. Look out for the tool bar and remove it completely. Once is uninstalled clearly then you will never see the file again. But on the contrary if you are using the toolbar then leave the file as it is.

It is a file installed with msn tool bar in the browser. If this file is disabled then the tool bar will fail working. Some the files behavior is that it can communicate with the other pc via http, register a dll, it can execute a process, etc. It is not a threat but an unnecessary service does not require if someone is not using msn tool bar. You can stop by removing all msn related tools from your system.