Thread: Locate password for my wireless internet connection

Locate password for my wireless internet connection

I have an old linksys wireless router, that connects to the internet and i use the router's wifi to access the internet connection on my laptop. I have problem, I brought a new laptop and when i connect to the wifi, it asks me for a password [key]. I don't remember the key as i had my laptop connected with the router and it never asked me for any key. How do i locate password for my wireless internet connection? Please help!

Re: Locate password for my wireless internet connection

Just open the web browser and from the browser, access the router, enter the password to access the router then go to wireless security ad change the password from there... It would be easy to help you if you mention the model number of the router...

Its a very old model from linksys. The model number is BEFW11S4. I know i need to get a new one but till some time, i am not planning to buy a new router till a month... Also i need to secure my router as i think someone else is leeching my internet connection. So please help!

1. Go to your desktop and double click on Internet Explorer (Located on the Start Menu in Windows XP)

2. When "Internet Explorer" opens type http://192.168.1.1into the "Address" bar and click on Go

3. The "Enter Network Password" window will appear.

4. Skip user name and type admin (admin is the default password) as the password, and click OK

Setup Page Security Options

When you arrive at the Setup page, you'll see the bulk of your wireless security features. There are three things you're going to want to set on this page:

1. SSID

Delete linksys from the "SSID" field

Input your own unique SSID. We general recommend something easy to remember, but secure enough to where people would not be able to guess it easily. Sometimes your best bet is to use your last name and add some numbers.

a) Click Apply then Continue

1. SSID Broadcast (Firmware 1.42.7 and above only)

a) Click No on the Allow "Broadcast" SSID to associate?

b) Click Apply then Continue

2. WEP

a) Click Mandatory for the "WEP" Option

b) Click the WEP Key Settings button

c) When the "Wep Key Settings" Window appears, change the option from 64 to 128
    d) Enter a passphrase that is different from the SSID. Try to make it alphanumeric; instead of password, use password5532. Once the key has been Generated copy the key into a notepad document and copy that file onto a floppy.

e) Click Apply then Continue

f) Close the window

g) Click Apply then Continue on the setup page.
    Setting up Station MAC Filter

The Station MAC Filter option is a very good security feature that has been added to Firmware 1.42.7 and above. This option denies all wireless clients except those listed. To implement this feature please follow these instructions:
    1. From the "Setup" page, click Advanced

2. When the "Filters" page opens, click on the Wireless tab

3. Make sure all wireless computers are setup to the router, and are currently able to access the internet. Once this is done, click on the Active MAC Table button.

4. Move the "Wireless Active MAC Table" window and click on Edit MAC Filter Settings on the main window.

5. When the "Wireless Group MAC Table" opens, go to the task bar and click on the Wireless Active MAC Table so that window appears.

6. With the two windows side by side enter the MAC Addresses from the "Wireless Active MAC Table" window into the Wireless Group MAC Table.

7. Click Apply then Continue in the "Wireless Group MAC Table" window.

8. Close the "Wireless Group MAC Table" window and the "Wireless Active MAC Table" window

9. On the Main window Enable the Station MAC Filter setting.