Thread: how to use two computers and one printer

how to use two computers and one printer

Hi all, i am having two Vista computers at my home and i recently bought a printer for them. I need to connect the printers with both the computers so that it can be used by any of them. Could you guys please let me know how can i do that ?

Re: how to use two computers and one printer

For using two computers for a single printer first make the two systems as network. Than connect the printer in any one of the system and install it.This way all required software and drivers are installed.Then go to start setting printer, right click your printer that you want to share and select sharing.Once the printer is shared find the ipaddress of this computer by going to start, run type in cmd. Now In "client" PC Select "My Network Places" or "Network Neighborhood" Printer appears as "shared".Double click on the printer to install it.Now it should connect you to the printer, and the computer will remember where to print to after this.The same printer is now installed twice - as local and network printer.If always using network printer, set it as "default"

You can use a printer switch as well.They are made for both parallel cable and USB cable printers.Roline Manual USB 2.0 Switching Hub 2 Port - allows 2 PCs to share a single USB Device like printer.simply plug both computers and the printer into the switch and set up the printer on each computer as you normally would. Or you can buy a printer change over switch. The printer is plugged in the output and each computer is plugged into the switch. You can get automatic change ever switches that switch between the two computers automatically. They operate independent of each computer.

Printer server also does the job better but it is the expensive way of connecting two computers to one printer. You plug the printer into the print server and the Ethernet connection from the print server into and spare port on your router and set up the printer as a network printer on each computer.Many inexpensive printers now include the option of a network connection. You simply need to have a router set up near the printer or a connection to a router near the printer. Set up and turn on the printer. Connect the printer to the router with a network cable, then set up the IP address under the options on the printer.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyrus View Post
    For using two computers for a single printer first make the two systems as network. Than connect the printer in any one of the system and install it.This way all required software and drivers are installed.Then go to start setting printer, right click your printer that you want to share and select sharing.Once the printer is shared find the ipaddress of this computer by going to start, run type in cmd. Now In "client" PC Select "My Network Places" or "Network Neighborhood" Printer appears as "shared".Double click on the printer to install it.Now it should connect you to the printer, and the computer will remember where to print to after this.The same printer is now installed twice - as local and network printer.If always using network printer, set it as "default"
    How do I make the two systems as network? I have a desktop windows xp and a laptop vista

To connect this you have to use LAN card on both machine. And don’t make use of straight cable for that you have to use parallel cable. And then plug it in both computers. And after that you have to go to the network places and from there you have to create small home network. Then it will ask you one message when you click next-next Computer is directly connected to internet or uses another computer". Then you have to choose from there. And then it will ask the computer description you can leave it blank and then computer name will be next you have to provide system name. And then set workgroup name which will be same for both system. And then reboot your both system and see if it’s working for it or not.

Home Network Windows Vista laptop + XP Desktop connection problems