Thread: How to configure CAS in Ms Exchange Server

How to configure CAS in Ms Exchange Server

I am running Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 in my office. I am running my official business website on it. I have client access server role installed in my system. Now here what I want to do is, how can I configure CAS in my server. I need an overview of CAS service. What are its feature and what does it do. I also want to cover the proxy for active syn also. How can I do it. I need proper step to perform the above actions. Any suggestion really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: How to configure CAS in Ms Exchange Server

The CAS is useful when there are many clients access servers in other active directory sites. The CAS also performs a redirection for Outlooks web access websites. It is helpful when a user is trying to connect to the CAS which is not located in the active directory site. In Microsoft Exchange 2003 there is and communication between the front end server and the back end server over http. Means the front one contacts the end one. While in Exchange 2007 the CAS contacts with the mailbox server over RPC. Normally it is an essential requirement of CAS on each site where the in an Exchange 2007 Mailbox server present. If you have an mailbox server without CAS then your user will not be able to contact the mailboxes through outlook web access or activesync, exchange web service, pop3 and imap4. It can be set as internal access or as internet facing. You will also note down a certificate is installed to the CAS by Microsoft Exchange 2007. So it recommended to get either private or public. The proxy is set for those clients who use Web Access, Exchange ActiveSync, Exchange Web Services, and the Availability service. Now to get an overview of CAS you can read this. Different type of business has a multiple active directory sites. This active directory can be designated as one CAS as an internet facing server. And it is named as First CAS. On the other hand Fist CAAS has the server proxy request to CAS's sites which do not have nay Internet presence called as Second CAS. For example the First CAS proxies the request via CAS to Second CAS. This then goes to the users mail box. This is the process which is called CAS proxying.

Here I will tell you how to configure Exchange 2007 Client Access Server (CAS) proxy which works for Active sync. You will need to follow some steps like first you need to determine the server whom you want to send the proxy request. Second thing you will need to proxy the request. And the third thing you have to set the proxy request to execute on behalf of the use from which the initial request comes. Any mobile device first contacts the Client Access Server through AirSync protocol. It is necessary to determine when the request is received by the internet facing client access server, weather to handle it directly, or proxy it, or send back it as error. It here how it works. The First CAS sends a query to the active directory. Then the active directory finds the location of user's mailbox and the version of Ms exchange. We take an example like if the users Ms Exchange server's version is 2003. Then the request is proxied directly to the destination exchange 2003 server to back end server even if the CAS is at a different version. The mail box of user will automatically determine the best cas in the active directory site.

I will provide with some basic points that you will required while setting upa CAS proxy. These points will help you lot while working with Microsoft Exchange 2007 Client Access Server. The first thing you will need to take consider every site that has a mailbox server in First CAS. Secondly you will need to set up the external url attribute with your external name only in the Client Access Server which you want to publish. Third thing all other child Client Access Server must be configured with Integrated Authentication instaed of forms Authentication. Always ensure that the internal url is appropriate and the default name assigned to the server is proper. By using - cmdlet: set-owavirtualdirectory "owa (default web site)" -RedirectToOptimalOWAServer $true set the $True to RedirectToOptimalOWAServer. Do not enable forms authentication for Exchange Server 2003 back-end servers.