Thread: Obtain Digital ID for MAC

Obtain Digital ID for MAC

Hi,
    Recently somebody edited a information form a private email message in my company. The suspect is unknown. I had heard about digital id's for emails. I am having a mac book. As for the safety of my mails how can I get an digital id for mac book. Working under corporate email messages play a vital role in publishing and receiving information. Emails tampering is an known issue today. I want to encrypt my mails with digital signatures so that only receiver can review it. The mails become more secure and safe by this. I need some information about the id's which I can use in my email messages to avoid any conspiracy. Any advice related to this post is really appreciated.

Re: Obtain Digital ID for MAC

Thawte and VeriSign are the two most famous digital signature providers in the market. Thawte even provides a twenty one days trail pack. You can use it and get satisfied about the product. Other than this it provides multiple product from a Individual to corporate. This Digital Id's are chargeable service. Digital Id's allow you to sign your documents and encrypt them. It is same like your signing your letter and putting it under and sealed envelop. So only the receiver can open and read it. Your mail remains private during transmission.

It is an really safer way to sign a document digitally for its safety. Mails can be tampered by anyone easily which results in publishing wrong information to the receiver. To use Digital ID on your Mac book follow the below instructions. First purchase and Digital Certificate from VeriSign or Thawte. This certificates are stored int eh keychain access of your system. After downloading the certificate double click on it. A key chain access window will open. Now identify your certificate. The extension of such files is in format .cer, .crt, .p12 or .p7c. Look for file which has the mentioned extension. If you cannot see it in Keychain then go to Applications/Utilities and drag the file in it. To sign or encrypt a mail choose file and then new message. Now select the account. You will a check mark at the uppers side of message. This shows that the message is digitally signed.

It is very simple to add the a digital id in mac. First import a digital id and access it via keychain. Exit Keychain and open Mail. This generated keys are now available to use with S/MIME messages. A private key is needed to send a signed message. You will get a higher level of security as compare to an simple message. In the compose window if you see a sign of tick at the upper corner then it is signed. You can choose to send a signed and unsigned.