Thread: DHCP client doesn't get start in Windows Vista home premium

DHCP client doesn't get start in Windows Vista home premium

I'm having a Compaq laptop on which i had installed Windows Vista home premium. The problem is that i'm unable to get connected to networks both with the NIC and the Wireless card. It is becuase the laptop NIC is not getting an IP address assigned by DHCP server. It is been set to an automatic mode, but it still fails to get an valid IP address assigned by DHCP server. Can any body help me out to get rid of the above issue? Any kind of help on the above issue would be appreciated.

Re: DHCP client doesn't get start in Windows Vista home premium

For that you need to run CMD as an administrator on your system. in order to do that, you need to type in CMD after you click on the Start button. Then just right click on the Command Prompt from the list and then select Run as Administrator on your pc.

For that you need to Click on your START menu and then select RUN and the type "services.msc" in it. Then press the enter key. then it will open up the services applet on your desktop screen. Then try to scroll down the services untill you find "DHCP CLIENT" on your pc. Then you need to just Right click on "DHCP CLIENT" and then select you need to select "START" from the options menu.

This problem occurs because the Windows Vista-based DHCP client computer does not comply with RFC2131 when the client computer tries to renew an IP address that was previously used. When a DHCPNACK packet is received from the DHCP server, the client must invalidate its previous configuration for the interface. Then, the client must return to the initial state to start the renew process. For more details you can check out the following link.