Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

wireless network has excellent strength but limited connection

Networking & Security

Old 29-05-2009

wireless network has excellent strength but limited connection

I have a Linksys wireless router with a cable modem which runs forever but at times it hangs up so we have to flip the switch more often. I have two pc's with a laptop with wireless internet setup connected and lately it started kicking off from internet. We can get to wireless network pretty fine and it also says that connection strength is excellent but after some time it starts saying that "This network has limited or no connectivity". What is causing this issue as I can get to the router but not to the internet? Please help me out guys.

Old 29-05-2009

Re: wireless network has excellent strength but limited connection

Can you go to file, and untick Work Offline.
then it should be working fine.
or if still it does not work, then it means that you have entered the wrong password for the connection.
Old 29-05-2009

The reason behind no/limited connectivity is that you did not get a proper ip address,
First check whether your dhcp client service is running or not.
to check this you can follow these steps

right click on my computer
click on manage

now go to services in left panel
in the right side you will get list of currently installed services.

check whether your dhcp client service is started and automatic or not.

Once this is done you disconnect and re-connect to your wireless router.

now it should be working fine.
As if there was some problem with your ssid then your program should have informed regarding this.

Also check for routing and networking services, they also create this problem.
Old 29-05-2009

Limited or No Connectivity means you aren't pulling an IP address from your router. You can connect to your wireless network's signal (SSID) which is why you show "Excellent" strength, but for some reason DHCP isn't working.

You could also start by disabling WEP or WPA (if you're using one) and see if you can get an IP address that way.

TechArena Community > Technology > Networking & Security
Tags: , , ,