Thread: Cannot connect to internet through Wireless USB modem or phones (gprs/edge)

sad Cannot connect to internet through Wireless USB modem or phones (gprs/edge)

Hello all,

I have a VAIO CS14 with Vista preinstalled. I used to connect to internet through my BSNL GPRS via a Nokia phone. Suddenly few days back Vista started refusing to connect to internet via any of my phones neither through usb nor bluetooth. Everytime I try to connect it gets stuck at "Connecting Device" and after some time gives error no.638. i have also tried to connect through my Nokia E75 and SE 810i but for no avail. i also tried to connect through IDEA NET SETTER but same problem.

However I am able to connect through WiFi and LAN. i am also able to connect through all this in my Compaq an HP Laptops having WINDOWS XP.

I dont dare to reinstall or recover Vista as I have purchased some softwares which might be lost. Though I have created RECOVERY DISCS after installing the purchased software. Will restoring the system through these disc will restore my system without losing the installed programs.

ANYWAYS PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS INTERNET THING. Please help me connect to internet through BSNL GPRS or IDEA NET SETTER.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Cannot connect to internet through Wireless USB modem or phones (gprs/edge)

Have you tried reinstalling your modem drivers again? Did you als try turn off your firewall?

You need to find for the file wvdial.conf or something like that irrespective of your mobile phone, Opened it as Root so you could edit and Delete the contents and Pasted the following into the file.

[Dialer Defaults]
    Init1 = ATZ
    Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
    Modem Type = USB Modem
    Baud = 460800
    New PPPD = yes
    Modem = /dev/ttyACM0
    ISDN = 0
    Phone = *99#
    Password = A
    Username = B
    Stupid Mode = 1
    This i did but it was after consulting with the mobile phone customer service, you may also need to have an opinion with the customer service.

Hey try out the following step.

1) Try to install USB Modem dialer on your system.
    2) Just before connecting PDA, you need to disable allow USB and allow Network checkboxes on your Microsoft ActiveSync Connection Setting.
    3) Theb go to the Task Manager on your system and try to disable all WCExxx processes.
    4) Then try to create Dialup Connection just as you create for normal dial up phone connection. There should be no username or password for it, then just dial up no *99# on it.
    5) Then on your PDA, just try to open Wireless Modem and then just Click on Start.
    6) Then try to connect your PDA to your system by using USB cable.
    7) Then changed your modem properties at dial up connection to BSNL GPRS or IDEA NET SETTER.
    8) Then just proceed with your dial up connection.

Hope so it may help you out to resolve the above issue.

It basically due misconfiguration settings. I believe that the application which you are using with the idea net setter or bsnl gprs is not configured properly. First try to set a manual dial up connection on your desktop. Then just by making some small changes you can work with you internet. To set up a manual dial up connection do these steps :
    1). Install your USB modem or mobile by connecting to your laptop and using the driver cd ( This is very important part. Your modem must be available in Device Manager. To view that Right click on My computer > Properties > Hardware > Device Manager. Just check under the modem coloumn that your device is listed. )
    2). Go to Start Menu > Network > Network sharing tab at top of window > Set up a Connection
    3). Follow the wizard. Choose set up dial up.
    4). Now in the next coloumn it will ask for phone no. It is the no of the port where your modem or mobile is connect. I am not sure about idea but for TATA and MTNL it is #777, for airtel it is *99#. You can get this number by calling the customer care department of idea or bsnl. And also ask the user name password for your dial up connection.
    5) Point to note down. Always connect the modem or mobile in a same usb port where it was connected or installed. Do not change or put it in different port. Because this effects the configuration settings.
    Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by janos View Post
    Have you tried reinstalling your modem drivers again? Did you als try turn off your firewall?
    Hi,

I have tried to reinstall the drivers for no avail. after connecting the phone or modems they show up in Device Manager.

However now will try disabling the firewall.

Quote Originally Posted by abhijeetaj View Post
    Hi,

I have tried to reinstall the drivers for no avail. after connecting the phone or modems they show up in Device Manager.

However now will try disabling the firewall.
    Hey I tried disabling the firewall but it also didnt help.

Any clue?

Well may be you have made some changes with the settings somewhere?

I would suggest you to uninstall the Nokia PC suit & install it after a restart & see if it gets connected.

About Error 638: The request has timed out error it is Caused When The Windows for Workgroups 3.11 RAS client times out because its callback algorithm sets the modem to AutoAnswer mode after approximately one half Callback Time and then only waits for about another 85 seconds for the server to call back. So, when the Callback Time is set very large, for example, 200 seconds, the client waits for 100 + 85 seconds before it times out, but the server won't call until 200 seconds have past

Alternatively You Can Try repairing Your Vista Intenet connection and Also Try Removing Deleting all the Modem and Connections after that try with a New Setup/installation of Modems and Internet Connections

unsure Re: Cannot connect to internet through Wireless USB modem or phones (gprs/edge)

Quote Originally Posted by Sheru View Post
    Well may be you have made some changes with the settings somewhere?

I would suggest you to uninstall the Nokia PC suit & install it after a restart & see if it gets connected.
    Hey I have already tried reinstalling PC Suit several times. Nothing there too.