Thread: Need some WiFi knowledge

Need some WiFi knowledge

Hello.

Well, I am from India

I have seen a laptop MSI GT725 on eBay.com that is from US

I am from India. So, rest everything is fine. But. this laptop has a 802.11b/g/n connection. So, I need some help regarding what all things I need to set up a WiFi connection when I get it from USA.

I am from India So, please keep this thing in mind. If you need some more clarifications let me know.

Although I have a connection here but it is just 256 kbps and very slow. As I have seen everyeone says WiFi gives around 54-108 Mbps that is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy toooooooooooooooooooooo much for me. I have never even used 512 kbps in my life..!

So, please mention all things I need to setup a WiFi connection here and how will I use it here?

Thanks in advance..

Re: Need some WiFi knowledge

To setup wireless WiFi, you will need a Wireless router and the laptop should have built-in wireless networking support or a wireless network adapter. And yes, also a Broadband Internet connection

Now to hook it all up,
    first you have dsl or road runner hooked up and the on the "box" that the probably set up near your laptop is a wire that looks like an oversize phone line. This is an ethernet cable you take the end that goes to the computer and plug it into the internet port on the router and then plug a short piece of cable into the desktop computer and then plugin the router and modem (the box) in to an outlet and then there should be wifi on a wireless device.

The laptop which I am looking for has built in capability of 802.11a/b/g So, I need to buy a router that supports this.

Ok. But, I didn't get understand Broadband Connection?

1) The laptop has in-built WiFi network card
    2) I will buy a Router compatible to it and it's power chord
    3) I will buy a ethernet cable as well
    4) I will plug the ethernet cable into the router and one side into the laptop
    5) I will plug the WiFi Router power into an outlet

Now, my question is where does this Broadband Connection come in? Does the speed of WiFi depends on Broadband Connection I have?

Since you had mentioned that you want to setup WiFi connection, I thought you wanted to get this WiFi from your present broadband line. If you already have WiFi in your area, then you will not to do anything much. Your WiFi compatible laptop with simply sense the WiFi once it comes into its range with minor IP settings.

How will I know these IP settings and how will I know that it is available in my area?