Thread: Network configuration in a VMWare

Network configuration in a VMWare

I want to install some software on Win XP in a virtual machine. I installed VMWare Player and I loaded my Windows XP. So far, no problem, that is till when I am trying to configure the network to access internet from VMWare. I have a freebox. How do I set the OS to VMWare to access internet?

Thank you for your replies.

Re: Network configuration in a VMWare

Configure NAT in the network by default.
    Otherwise it must pass through the *. vmx file in the folder called system and change the values related to networks.

What does not work in reality? The network device is functional but there is no network? In the case of a FreeBox, it is quite complicated because we are directly connected to the Internet. There is no address translation (NAT). I do not think it is a real worry.

You can also refer to this guide called How to Configure VirtualCenter Management Server with VMware

Personally, (and provided the Host OS is something you can do routing with easy), I'd just make the host do the routing, instead of another VM, and use Host-Only networking with the VMs that need to be on the new networks. Saves on 1 VM (disk, memory, etc). You'd then set the Host Server as the gateway to the new VMs.

First of all be aware that VMware Server might not work well with host NIC advanced features. There were reported problems with NIC teaming. What is the result of "IPCONFIG /ALL" on host? Is one NIC reported or two?

For guest virtual NIC to be in the same subnet, you need to use bridging to host NIC. That is VMnet0 by default on hosts with only one physical NIC.