Thread: Network Cable is Unplugged on Desktop...but wireless works

Network Cable is Unplugged on Desktop...but wireless works

Alright here's the story the best way I can explain it...

About three days ago my desktop computer's internet connection has gone a little wacky. The message: "Local Area Connection-A Network Cable is Unplugged" flashes on and off constantly thus I loose my internet connection for my desktop.

Here's the thing, while this is happening my wireless network works fine! I don't get it.

I have a Highspeed Modem (provided by my ISP) a cable going into my Dlink wireless router and another cable going into my computer tower. The light where the 2nd cable is is not on and the WLAN light is flashing intermittently.

I've already changed all the cables, I've reinstalled all the drivers for the LAN ports on my Motherboard (one is a Yukon Marvell the other is nVidia) no luck. I've also tried the media type switching to every single one ( you know where you go configure advanced options and change the speed/duplex) none of them work.

Also if I just have my modem and an RJ45 cable into my tower it says I have limited or no connectivity and if I connect my modem with a single RJ45 cable to one of my laptops it says I'm connected but I get "Page Can't be displayed" on both firefox and IE.

Like All the lights on the modem are working fine,but Status and WLAN are blinking and where my desktop is plugged into the router there is no light for the port number

I'm about on the end of my stick here help me out guys!

Thanks

Re: Network Cable is Unplugged on Desktop...but wireless works

Ensure that you can ping the router's LAN IP from client computer. Also go to the router management page, then go to the status page, ensure the Internet/WAN connection is up.

If still not working even the Internet link is up, then the DNS servers might not work to resolve the URL. Then you can try to use following free DNS servers from OpenDNS.com.

I have an update.

I had a new wireless router lying around so I decided to reset and ditch the old one. I tried setting up a network (both hardwired and wireless) with my desktop with this new router, it did not work.

SO I set up a wireless network with one of my laptops with this new router and it works perfectly, both a hard wired connection (just modem to laptop) and wireless connection works fine on the laptop.

But I can't get the router or modem to get an internet connection with my desktop. If I plug in my modem directly into the tower all I get is "Limited or no connectivity". And the router indicates now that the desktop can't connect like it tries to acquire the address and just fails and keeps doing that at a rapid rate.

I've reinstalled the drivers for both LAN ports on my motherboard and nothing still. Everything in the BIOS is set correctly as well.

Just make it sure which configuration you wanted to do first whether you need to configure your router or the port setting that is more important, and i will suggest you to go step by step that will solve your problem and you could also find out where have you made mistake if anything goes wrong.

I went step by step and everything works fine minus the internet connection to the desktop. The LAN ports on my motherboard do not light up Green anymore when a cable is plugged in.

Also when I plugged an RJ45 cable into port 2 of my router and plugged that cable into my laptop I get a connection and everything works fine...