Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to set up Comcast with linksys router

How to set up Comcast with linksys router

I have a Linkysys wirless wrt54g router which i need to connect with a comcast business gateway. The IPs with this connections on this machine is static and can not be changed. I just reached to the Linkysys setup page by typing 192.168.1.1 in my web browser but i dont know the forward setups. So could you guys make me know the settings that should be in the Liknsys router for the Comcast gateway ? Help appreciated

Re: How to set up Comcast with linksys router

Comcast seems to be using some kind of security settings, which on the telephone they will swear do not exist, apparently for the purpose of preventing people from hooking routers up. Here are the steps you need to follow to connect Comcast with linksys router:-

• First of all try connecting directly your cable modem without router and check it connects internet or not.
    • Use "ipconfig /release" and "ipconfig /renew" from the windows command prompt to get a new IP address from the cable modem.
    • If you cannot get online than contact your ISP for further assistance.
    • Now unplug the cable modem from your computer and connect it to the WAN port of the router.
    • Enter the router's configuration with your web browser.
    • Tell the router to Clone your Mac Address. wait a few seconds.
    • Plug the router into the cable modem.
    • Check the following lights should be illuminated at the front of the router.
    • Power,WAN Link, Link/Act.
    • Now make the router ask for a new IP address from the cable modem in the web interface.
    Thats it...

To configuring the Router, follow this steps:-

• Go to http://192.168.1.1 in your web browser. A window will appear with ID and password.
    • The default user name and password is admin. By default the router will be set to Obtain an IP Address Automatically.
    • Now go to the Advanced tab and click on Mac Addr. Clone
    • When the page loads, input the Adapter/Physical Address you made earlier and input it into the proper fields.
    • Click Apply

Thanks for the help friends. Let me check and go through this process. I'll be back if any problem occurs. Hope it works for me. Thank you !!

I also have a comcast connection which gets 21Mbps if the PC is connected directly to the cable modem, but only 7Mbps when connected thru my WRT54G (wired), thru one of its LAN ports. The subscription is for 16Mbps. The test is done at www.speedtest.net. Do I need to change my WRT54G router? What router is recommended? Thanks in advance.

You probably know by now that you will never get the same speeds from your router and your modem. The router is splitting the resources among all active ports. You may not get more than 10mb perhaps per port depending on the router.

Not so. I have 2 routers in series (don't ask why) - I still get 15 Mbps on a cable connection going through both the routers. I have a total of 6 computers in the house with 2 running at the time of this test. It's not automatic that having a router with multiple devices will slow the internet connection. If all users are downloading at max speeds at the same time, the shared bandwidth results in lower transfer rates for all devices. One at a time should see the max bandwidth of the connection. Also, one job of a router/switch is to coordinate the traffic minimizing the negative effects of a shared use line.
    Last edited by gooberpooh; 25-09-2009 at 09:36 AM.

cool Re: How to set up Comcast with linksys router

My Linksys router and Comcast modem a working just fine. Here’s what I did.
    First you must understand what you are trying to achieve. You are trying to make the modem think that it is talking directly to the computer. In other words, the Linksys router must look just like the Dell computer to the Comcast modem. This is primarily done by giving the router the same Mac address as a computer.
    1. Plug the ethernet cable from the back of the computer straight into the cable modem. Make sure you are able to get to the Internet just like that. If not, something is wrong with your modem. A Comcast tech will be glad to help you with the modem which is his own equipment.
    2. If the Internet is working, the modem is fine. On your computer screen, go to the command prompt (Start> Programs> Accessories >Command Prompt). Now you’re seeing a black DOS screen. Type in: ipconfig/release. Hit your Enter key. Wait 30 seconds and type in: ipconfig/renew Hit Enter again.
    3. Now that you have a fresh ip address issued by the cable modem, type in: ipconfig/all. This will give you the physical address of your computer. It should look like this: 00.1A.A0.22.1A.8B. This is an example not the actual address. Write this address down.
    4. Okay, plug the Internet cable from the back of your computer into your WAN connection socket. WAN is the first socket alone. LAN are the four sockets numbered one to four. While forums don’t explain this I have no idea. Now plug the power cord to the router into the wall. you’re trying to get into the router’s configuration so you can change the Mac address.
    5. You can usually access the router in Internet Explorer browser by typing the address: 192.168.1.1; Sometimes, if you’ve tinkered with the firmware, your router’s main address may be different. If all else fails, hold down the reset button in the back of the router for 60 seconds. This should give the router back its factory defaults and now that address is good.
    6. Assuming you are inside your router’s administration page, find the tab that says Clone Mac address. Enable the clone, but type in the address you wrote down. Just in case you’ve forgotten, the physical address of your computer is the same Mac address we want to give to your router so the modem thinks it’s talking to the computer. While you’re there in the router, make sure your security is WPA with your personal security code, at least 10 digits long. Write it down.
    7. Save all settings. Get out of your router and turn it off, unplug it from the wall.
    8. Now here is the tricky part. The cable modem is on. The router is off. So that you don’t get confused, I am going to use color cables. I’m going to plug a gray ethernet cable into the back of my computer (It’s really already there). I’m going to plug the other end of the gray cable into the Number 1 LAN socket on my router. I’m going to plug a yellow ethernet cable into the cable modem. I’m going to plug the other end of the yellow cable into the WAN socket (standalone, not numbered) of my router. The yellow cable is transferring the internet to my router.
    9. You can now plug the router back into the wall. Give the router time to light up, and grab the information from the modem, maybe 60 seconds. The modem is on; the router’s on. All we need now is a wireless adapter.
    10. Plug your wireless adapter into the computer’s USB slot. Tell the adapter to find all the networks. When you find your network, double-click or click Connect. The adapter screen should ask for the 10 digit security code you wrote down. Once you plug this code in, the screen should be connected to the network.
    11. Now go around to each computer in the house and configure their individual wireless adapters to connect to the new network. Each time you will be asked for the 10 digit security code. Now everybody should be online.
    So many people have helped me in these forums, I’m glad to give back. GOOD LUCK!!!

Another way to try it is...
    1) Unplug the network cable from both the Linksys wireless router and Comcast modem
    2) Completely reset your router (hold reset button for 30 secs)
    3) Unplug your router so it also completely powers off
    4) Unplug your Comcast modem (and remove battery if there is one) so that it completely powers off and resets
    5) Power on the modem
    6) Power on the router
    7) Connect the modem to the router WAN port via the network cable
    8) Find and connect to your wireless network

This works by resetting the MAC and IP settings for both boxes and allows the modem to recognize the router's MAC as the primary address.

adjava007.... you...saved my life... haha.... thank you so much. I am noob at this configuration stuff and you answered my prayers after nearly pulling all my hair off my skull I finally found a detailed & clear answer I'm looking for....yup... until today I didn't even know how to get to command.... thank you sooooo much..... yahooo!!!!!!!

Adjava007:

I read your very helpful post about using "Clone Mac Address" to enable the Linksys wireless router to talk to the Comcast modem, i.e. by fooling the Comcast modem into thinking the Linksys is actually the registered computer.

Thanks for providing the info.

I have a related question. After using "clone mac address" on the Linksys WRT54g can I still use mac address filtering to limit wireless access to just the devices on my home network?

Your assistance is much appreciated!

Hello Ferretmania
    I don't know the answer to your question. I haven't really experimented with the Linksys in a year or so. But I'm pretty sure you can. Sorry I couldn't help you on this one. Put this phrase into Google search and see what comes up

"This is the DHCP Renew Button".

Quote Originally Posted by Ferretmania View Post
    Adjava007:

I have a related question. After using "clone mac address" on the Linksys WRT54g can I still use mac address filtering to limit wireless access to just the devices on my home network?
    Hi,

I think that there is no problem using the Linksys Wireless MAC Filtering tool which is just one of the security functions that you can use. Using this tool, you’ll be able to block untrusted wireless devices by adding their MAC addresses to the Linksys router’s filter MAC Address list. Moreover, you can authorize trusted wireless device by adding their MAC addresses to the router’s permit MAC Address list.

ThumbsUp Re: How to set up Comcast with linksys router

Quote Originally Posted by adjava007 View Post
    My Linksys router and Comcast modem a working just fine. Here’s what I did.
    First you must understand what you are trying to achieve. You are trying to make the modem think that it is talking directly to the computer. In other words, the Linksys router must look just like the Dell computer to the Comcast modem. This is primarily done by giving the router the same Mac address as a computer.
    1. Plug the ethernet cable from the back of the computer straight into the cable modem. Make sure you are able to get to the Internet just like that. If not, something is wrong with your modem. A Comcast tech will be glad to help you with the modem which is his own equipment.
    2. If the Internet is working, the modem is fine. On your computer screen, go to the command prompt (Start> Programs> Accessories >Command Prompt). Now you’re seeing a black DOS screen. Type in: ipconfig/release. Hit your Enter key. Wait 30 seconds and type in: ipconfig/renew Hit Enter again.
    3. Now that you have a fresh ip address issued by the cable modem, type in: ipconfig/all. This will give you the physical address of your computer. It should look like this: 00.1A.A0.22.1A.8B. This is an example not the actual address. Write this address down.
    4. Okay, plug the Internet cable from the back of your computer into your WAN connection socket. WAN is the first socket alone. LAN are the four sockets numbered one to four. While forums don’t explain this I have no idea. Now plug the power cord to the router into the wall. you’re trying to get into the router’s configuration so you can change the Mac address.
    5. You can usually access the router in Internet Explorer browser by typing the address: 192.168.1.1; Sometimes, if you’ve tinkered with the firmware, your router’s main address may be different. If all else fails, hold down the reset button in the back of the router for 60 seconds. This should give the router back its factory defaults and now that address is good.
    6. Assuming you are inside your router’s administration page, find the tab that says Clone Mac address. Enable the clone, but type in the address you wrote down. Just in case you’ve forgotten, the physical address of your computer is the same Mac address we want to give to your router so the modem thinks it’s talking to the computer. While you’re there in the router, make sure your security is WPA with your personal security code, at least 10 digits long. Write it down.
    7. Save all settings. Get out of your router and turn it off, unplug it from the wall.
    8. Now here is the tricky part. The cable modem is on. The router is off. So that you don’t get confused, I am going to use color cables. I’m going to plug a gray ethernet cable into the back of my computer (It’s really already there). I’m going to plug the other end of the gray cable into the Number 1 LAN socket on my router. I’m going to plug a yellow ethernet cable into the cable modem. I’m going to plug the other end of the yellow cable into the WAN socket (standalone, not numbered) of my router. The yellow cable is transferring the internet to my router.
    9. You can now plug the router back into the wall. Give the router time to light up, and grab the information from the modem, maybe 60 seconds. The modem is on; the router’s on. All we need now is a wireless adapter.
    10. Plug your wireless adapter into the computer’s USB slot. Tell the adapter to find all the networks. When you find your network, double-click or click Connect. The adapter screen should ask for the 10 digit security code you wrote down. Once you plug this code in, the screen should be connected to the network.
    11. Now go around to each computer in the house and configure their individual wireless adapters to connect to the new network. Each time you will be asked for the 10 digit security code. Now everybody should be online.
    So many people have helped me in these forums, I’m glad to give back. GOOD LUCK!!!

Thread looks quiet old, If at ll you have trouble using linksys router, first make a note of the model number and then before you post question check the cable connections. you can also follow existing articles as well Linksys router setup

Exclamation Re: How to set up Comcast with linksys router

I followed your instructions and they worked beautifully. However now I can't use Hulu or ABC TV because of the proxy setting. How do I change it back? Because I get nausea and headaches from using wi-fi, I'm only using it once a week to update my TIvo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast