Thread: Read only error on a Network file

Read only error on a Network file

I am two computer interconnected with each other. The name of work group is Alias. When I tried to copy a pdf file from the E drive of another computer a message is displayed denoting that the file is read only. After pressing OK the copying stopped. I did this two to three times the same is happening. But on the internet and printing part everything is working fine. How can I configure the files to copy between the network and what can be the reason behind this.

Re: Read only error on a Network file

You file is configured to read only status. In the read only status the file can only be viewed or read but cannot copy or altered. By some simple settings you can easily transfer and move files. In order to copy the file you will need to go to the computer where the file is originally stored. Right click on the file and untick on the Read only box. Save the file. Now you can copy the file from anywhere on the network.

To carry out any copy or transfer process in the network it is necessary that the file sharing option must be enabled. By the sharing rights you can move and copy files easily. Go to the another computer where your file is located. Open my computer. Right click on the drives and go to sharing tab. Click on the blue lines and in the box Tick on sharing and allow user to change file box. After you will be able to transfer and copy files via network.

You will need to modify your windows registry file. Go to start menu > run > and type regedit. Always take a backup of the registry file before making any changes. Now navigate to the below path : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    Go to edit menu and click on new. Select DWORD value. Type NoDetailsThumbnailOnNetwork and hit enter. Go to edit menu and press enter. Type 1 and OK. Exit registry editor and restart the system. You will need to perform the above action on the system where the files are located, the parent pc.