Thread: Different speed between Lan and Wlan

Different speed between Lan and Wlan

My father went from ADSL to VDSL 20Mb. I went to configure the modem and turned on the WLAN.

When I made a test in 20Mb over LAN (WLAN off),,,, but only 8Mb WLAN (LAN cable removed).

Is there a setting to adjust the level of the WLAN on the PC? It is an Acer PC (2years) with integrated WLAN.

Thank you for your answers

Re: Different speed between Lan and Wlan

The speed of a link is limited by the slowest link in your case that appears to be the Wlan.

It is the ADSL or VDSL, which has a theoretical throughput "most likely" of 20 Mbits / sec.

In LAN we have the theoretical flows 10 ,100 ,1000 Mbps ie that with 100 Mb / s you may be limited by the phone network. 20 Mb / s.

The WLan or WPLAN, wireless LAN. commonly known as WIFI meets standards (IEEE 802.11) specified are not the telephone network.
    In the vacuum we have now in theory:

Standard: G WiFi (802.11 g; Speed: 54 Mbps; Range: 100 m BUT, the transmission is handicapped by distance (decrease in the square of the distance), barriers, gender barriers (concrete wall, metal structures or metal appliances, Oven-cooker etc) and so on. and the flow is less than 20, which seems to be your case.

We can only optimality things
    • By having your transmitter height (2 m) emission will be less disturbed by the obstacles of the place. (Id. pr reception.)
    • Adopting features of the standard U (not official) that offers 300MB / s and apparently it is more important.
    • Benefiting from an antenna directive or just better suited to the location and configuration of the machine connected

Thank you for your answer, but I knew it.
    In fact the PC is 50 cm from the wifi router and what amazes me is such a difference between cable and wifi.

no chance as it is an old WiFi chip in the Acer PC?

For me all goes well at 50 bp / s. There may be declining in the WIFI system if the CPU is busy with other tasks or a monstrous desktop wallpaper or if you have a bunch of WiFi squatters (protection triggered), or 4 cables and sixteenths traffic: it looks through the monitor system of the OS.

Thank you for the info, but how do I know what chip is installed?

Then it depends, there are a lot of options that require more or less with your hands get "dirty"

I think the easiest solution would be to install an application that provides detailed information on the gear in the machine.

If a chip is integrated wifi (eg a laptop), look at the specification directly from Acer, depending on the model of the computer