Thread: What is Svchost.exe In Taskmanager Process Tab

What is Svchost.exe In Taskmanager Process Tab

I want to know about svchost.exe. What is it actually. Is is good or harm to my computer and application. I had seen a long list of these type of files in my task manager. I tried to end process on some of the running files but my system restarted. I think that my computer is affected by virus. Is it a type of virus which making pc slow and then to restart. Help.

What is Svchost.exe In Taskmanager Process Tab

It is actually the most common query. That, what is svchost.exe and many of these are running in my computer.
    Normally svchost.exe in Windows xp hosts multiple services within one process. This saves memory of the computer by reducing the excess number of processes that need to be running,
    Different system service like Terminal Services, Audio, etc runs within svchost.exe.
    And don't worry it is not a type of virus. It is windows service. The might be some other reason for system restart and slow issue.

Re: What is Svchost.exe In Taskmanager Process Tab

As per the Microsoft co. svchost.exe is a generic host process name for services that run from dynamic-link libraries".
    The reason behind why so many of this services are running is, when you take a look in Service Section of Control panel you will notic that there is a group of different services required by windows. For every service different svchost.exe process is assigned. That is why the number increases.
    These services are orgainzed in a logical groups, and single svchost.exe is created for each group. Like for example, one svchost.exe runs the 3 services related to the firewall
    If you want you can disable some unneeded service.
    Go on Start menu > Control Menu > Administrative Tools section
    Or Start Menu > Run and type services.msc
    Identify the service which you don't want and right click on it to choose Properties.
    Go to the Startup Type section and select Disabled, and then click the Stop button.
    This will also reduce some pressure on the CPU.

Re: What is Svchost.exe In Taskmanager Process Tab

Let me tell you something. It is not a virus on Win XP, 2000 and 2003. It is a required system component.Svchost stands for service host, it is a main part of an OS that provide support to many of the required services.
    Type tasklist / svc in the comman promp and your will get the list of running services.
    It is located in the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder. When the computer boots up svchost.exe checks the services part of a registry and prepare a list of services that must load. Every session of svchost.exe contain a grouping of services. This help to allow a better control and easier debugging.