Thread: sharing printer to windows clients

sharing printer to windows clients

I just installed FC 10 on my machine (with Windows 2000 in dual boot) and I have a printer that is connected to this machine (an HP LaserJet 4).I want to share my printer, clients running Windows 2000. I did several searches and read many docs (including Ubuntu and Fedora) but I still not able to managed to make my printer as network printer. I was in / etc / cups / mime.convs and / etc / cups / mime.types to uncomment some lines. but it still does not. I also read that some things need to change in smb.conf but I have not succeeded.

I note that when I boot my Windows partition, where I set same printer as sharing,customers can print, but when I boot Fedora, it is impossible to print for clients.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Re: sharing printer to windows clients

On the Windows box:
    Start the Add Printer wizard and then Click Next.Select A network printer or the printer which you want use as network printer or a printer attached to another computer.Select Connect to a printer on the Internet or on a home or office network.
    Type server name :631 then / printers then / printer name in the url box, where server_name is the hostname or ip address for the ubuntu machine, and printer_name is... the printer name. Don't forget the port number!Click Next and run through the driver installation to complete.

Are you sure that the printer is shared.did you set the firewall? the client network printer is set to the default?

hi,
    to slove the problem go to Start/Printers and faxes. Right click your printer and select properties. Click the advanced tab. Click the print processor button. Select LMMODIPRINT and set the data type to rawthen click on ok.Restart the printer and Also make sure sys is checked in users control. Add "user" to the groups line in /etc/cups/cups.conf.