Thread: Ping Via Mac Address

Ping Via Mac Address

hello , I Have a Network , Where there are 15 System to be installed I Have The Mac Adresses of the Network Card Can you Tell me It is Possible to ping System Via Mac address s there a utility that wil allow me to ping by MAC Address to find out what the IP address is? Thanks in advance for your suggestion

Re: Ping Via Mac Address

You can send a packet to a MAC address, but there is no guarantee the computer will answer. You might be able to come up with something which it is likely to answer. For example if you expect that network interface to
    have an IP address in the same subnet as yourself, you could send an IP packet with the broadcast address of this network segment as the destination address on the IP layer.

Hello , arping is an ARP level ping utility. It's good for finding out if an IP is taken before you have routing to that subnet. It can also ping MAC addresses directly. A rewrite that supports Libnet 1.1.x is included.

Hello , You Can try on linkloop which tests the connectivity of the local node and the remote node specified by each hardware station address. The hardware station address of a remote node can be found by executing lanscan on the remote node. This hardware station address is usually represented as a hexadecimal string prefixed with 0x. It can also be represented as a octal string prefixed with 0 or as a decimal string. The hardware station address must not be a multicast or broadcast address.

For more information Check this Link