Thread: Unable to ping any address

Unable to ping any address

I am unable to ping any address except my box ...

Can't ping router, DSL modem anyone anywhere ... LAN or WAN
    My system ...

DSL Modem
    Linksys Router(DHCP)

Windows XP with Windows Live Firewall.
    I have disabled the Firewall and I still can't ping
    I have check security on DSL Modem and Router
    I have checked Network Adapter settings
    I am at the end of my rope.

I only care about this as I'm trying to see my Windows Home Server

Re: Unable to ping any address

It looks like there is some problem with the DNS settings in your client computer. DNS or the domain name system converts the IP address to domain names. If instead of typing in the doamin name; you type in the IP address of a website in the browser; does it open? The solution to this should be; go into TCP/IP properties and instead of auto DNS settings, select preferred DNS server and then type in the IP address of your ICS host. Your internet should work fine now..

Refer to following threads for more help:

http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/987286.htm
    Not able to ping

Hope this will help. good luck
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein

What we think, we become (Please don't think you are a superhero and don't try to fly)

"SUCCESS IS NOT A DESTINATION , IT'S A JOURNEY"

hi,
    have you tried removing the Network card in device manager and rebooting the system after that Windows will redetect it and reload etc?

Quote Originally Posted by big fish View Post
    hi,
    have you tried removing the Network card in device manager and rebooting the system after that Windows will redetect it and reload etc?
    Have not tried that yet.

Quote Originally Posted by zachary View Post
    It looks like there is some problem with the DNS settings in your client computer. DNS or the domain name system converts the IP address to domain names. If instead of typing in the doamin name; you type in the IP address of a website in the browser; does it open? The solution to this should be; go into TCP/IP properties and instead of auto DNS settings, select preferred DNS server and then type in the IP address of your ICS host. Your internet should work fine now..
    The DNS is resolved via my DSL Modem(192.168.1.1)

What's funny is that my laptop that accesses the network via wireless card can ping various addresses and get your normal msg back.

So can my other laptop that is connected via a wired connection.

Quote Originally Posted by big fish View Post
    hi,
    This might be my next test as I have determined that this is the only box on my network that cannot ping anything other then itself.

It has an onboard Nvidia network controller so I can't just unplug it. I do have some Linksys NIC cards around so maybe I'll try that.

Quote Originally Posted by raiz View Post
    Refer to following threads for more help:

http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/987286.htm
    Not able to ping

Hope this will help. good luck

Thanks for the sugguestion, but they were no help. I am making progress as I've determined that it's the only box on my network that has this problem.

All my windows boxes use Windows Live Firewall ... it doesn't matter if I turn off the firewall or not ... it still won't answer any ping. It's too bad it wasn't a laptop then I could just take it to some other network and try it.

Quote Originally Posted by brlarue View Post
    I am unable to ping any address except my box ...

Can't ping router, DSL modem anyone anywhere ... LAN or WAN
    My system ...

DSL Modem
    Linksys Router(DHCP)

Windows XP with Windows Live Firewall.
    I have disabled the Firewall and I still can't ping
    I have check security on DSL Modem and Router
    I have checked Network Adapter settings
    I am at the end of my rope.

I only care about this as I'm trying to see my Windows Home Server
    Current Status ...

Installed another network card .... same problem ... no ping nothing except box

Started up in Safe Mode with just networking .... still would not ping anything beyond itself.

What to try next ... No, do not say reinstall Windows. I'm not going there. I only reinstall when things get real bad or I want a new box.

I have a ticket open with MS ... we'll see what they say. They have solved very few problems for me in the past, but they have come thru more than once so I can't count them out.

Quote Originally Posted by brlarue View Post
    Current Status ...

Installed another network card .... same problem ... no ping nothing except box

Started up in Safe Mode with just networking .... still would not ping anything beyond itself.

What to try next ... No, do not say reinstall Windows. I'm not going there. I only reinstall when things get real bad or I want a new box.

I have a ticket open with MS ... we'll see what they say. They have solved very few problems for me in the past, but they have come thru more than once so I can't count them out.
    The Saga continues ....

I have booted with a Linux CD and had no trouble with the PING to the Gateway or anywhere else.

I have booted in Safe Mode w/Networking ... PING still does not work.

I have run the command to reset/reinstall the TCP/IP stuff in the registry ... no help.

I'm running out of options ...

What is the configuration of your setup? I mean IP address, subnet mask, gateway on your computer as well as on your router. Is this in the same range?

In case anyone is wondering ...

Everything else works as far as networking goes ..

Internet works ... no issues

What's weird is that I can access the router and DSL modem through the browser ... no problem.

From the CMD window nothing can be seen ... Hmmm, is there something special about the CMD interface ?

Hey!
    Do you have proper drivers? May be that could be a problem. The first thing i would suggest you is to look in the LAN's properties. Internet Protocol [TCP/IP]
    Appears proper? Ok then set IP to "Automatically obtain IP Address" Do you get connected? If yes check if you recieve bytes and you don't have a limited connetivity icon with a yellow icon on the Network Connection icon in the taskbar. If you don't recieve the yellow mark and you get connected properly you would be able to recieve byte. If you recieve bytes then try to ping the DSL modem... What happens? Post back.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandra View Post
    What is the configuration of your setup? I mean IP address, subnet mask, gateway on your computer as well as on your router. Is this in the same range?
    IP: 192.168.2.104
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway 192.168.2.1
    DHCP Server: 192.168.2.1
    DNS Server: 192.168.1.1

The DNS Server is the DSL Modem. The range for DHCP is different than the range on the Router(DHCP Server). The DSL Modem assigns an IP address to the Router and the Router assigns IP addresses to workstations.

DHCP Pool on Modem 192.168.1.33 ... Pool Size 32

IP of Router is 192.168.1.34(As assigned by the Modem)
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.1.1
    DNS: 192.168.1.1

Remember all other boxes on the same network have similar IP setups and they have no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandra View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Milton.J View Post
    Hey!
    Do you have proper drivers? May be that could be a problem. The first thing i would suggest you is to look in the LAN's properties. Internet Protocol [TCP/IP]
    Appears proper? Ok then set IP to "Automatically obtain IP Address" Do you get connected? If yes check if you recieve bytes and you don't have a limited connetivity icon with a yellow icon on the Network Connection icon in the taskbar. If you don't recieve the yellow mark and you get connected properly you would be able to recieve byte. If you recieve bytes then try to ping the DSL modem... What happens? Post back.
    The TCP/IP properties look good. I can access the internet with no problem. I can access my DSL Modem and Router with their internal IP addresses. It's just PING and of course NSLOOKUP won't work. That's what started this. I created a file server and can't see it. The other 2 PCs on the network have no problem. The device drivers have no error.

I cannot ping anything except the box itself. Other boxes can ping this box.

Has everyone given up?

My latest adventure was to install a program called Wireshark. This is quite an impressive network debugging tool. You can see the packets in a readable format. I ran it on my interface, but I'll have to install it on a good machine so I know what the packets look like when things are working

Hi all,

I’m a little late, but here’s the outcome from my Ping problem. After trying everything I could think of from a hardware and software standpoint I had a local network person come over to see if he could fix it. I told him I would pay him for an hour’s worth of his time if he could fix it. He spent about an hour fiddling around, but I still could not Ping(localhost only). Based on some issues he was having I started thinking about another avenue to go down. One approach he explored was that a virus was causing the problem. I had Windows Live OneCare on my PC and had only run the Anti Virus scan that is part of OneCare. He installed an anti virus utility called Vipre and ran a scan with that. What I noticed is that when Vipre wanted to get the most current virus definitions it was unsuccessfull. We dismissed this and moved on. Nothing was discovered and after about an hour we agreed it was time to stop. I did compensate him for his time even though he was not successful. After he left I thought maybe the fact that Vipre could not get the latest updates might be related to my ping issue. At that point I thought I would try another AV utility. I downloaded Kapersky AV and started to install it. At the start it said that there was another AV utility installed and it would have to uninstall it. I said yes and it installed it. The Kapersky software could not get the latest AV updates either. The next thing I did was to try the Comodo AV. One of the features it provides is live support. This turned out to be the turning point. When I could not get the latest updates with Comodo I tried to use the Live Support feature. That wouldn’t work either. When I would try to connect with the live support I noticed a Winsock error would quickly flash on the screen. I was able to speak with their support via the internet chat feature and they had my verify various settings to try to get it to work. One of the things we did was to turn off the service “Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing”. After turning this off the live update started working as well as the Live Support. I was able to get the latest updates at this point. I was also able to Ping.

You may be thinking that just turning off this service fixed it, but I believe it was tied to Kapersky uninstalling the OneCare AV in addition to temporarily disabling the Windows Firewall/ICS service. After a few days I turned on the Windows Firewall/ICS service and my ability to ping was still functional. I then uninstalled Comodo and reinstalled the Onecare AV. Now I am back to my original setup and my Ping is fine.

Thank you for your suggestions and sorry for the late reply

Ron