Thread: Cyberlink brs.exe is Virus or Not

Cyberlink brs.exe is Virus or Not

Hello , I have Recently installed Cyberlink PowerDVD 9 , After the installation , There was a Process in Task Manager Called As Brs.exe , Which Was Detected as virus by my Avg antiVirus , To Clear my Doubt I deleted it and then Cyberlink Dvd Was Not working , So I had to reinstalled Cyberlink PowerDVD 9 Again , But then Again Brs.exe was Detected as Virus , i Submitted it to online scans on Various Site and Some Results Came back As positive. Other where indicating that is a trojan , But i dont know it is a Virus or Not , But My Cyberlink Powerdvd wont Work without it , Are both of Them Infection Please Help me Solve this Issue Thank In Advance For Your Suggestion

Re: Cyberlink brs.exe is Virus or Not

Hello , File brs.exe is located in a subfolder of "C:\Program Files". The file size on Windows XP is 91,432 bytes. There is no file information. The file is a Verisign signed file. File brs.exe is certified by a trustworthy company. The file is not a Windows core file. The program is not visible. Program is loaded during the Windows boot process. Some malware camouflage themselves as brs.exe, particularly if they are located in c:\windows or c:\windows\system32 folder. Thus check the brs.exe process on your pc whether it is pest

hello , brs.exe is part of a software application. That Is a service for enforcing blu-ray region protection. I disable it myself, but then again I don't have a BD player. You can close it if you need the recources.

PowerDVD 8 and Brs.exe
    Brs.exe is a program from Cyberlink, the company that brought PowerDVD to your computer screens. Erroneous reports stemming from different companies’ antivirus programs have alarmed some users into thinking that this process is a virus. The reports turned out to be false positive, and updates to various antivirus programs should fix this particular issue.

However, you are still advised to run a regular scan with a reliable antivirus program whenever you encounter a suspicious program. Malware often camouflages itself by using similar nomenclature to legitimate software. A good anti-spyware tool also helps you maintain your system at optimum levels.

Removing region restrictions is quite easy. In PowerDVD 8, BD region control is kept in BRF.dat. This in turn is controlled by brs.exe. Only PowerDVD can alter or remove BRF.dat if brs.exe is running in the background. Stopping the latter will allow you to delete BRF.dat. This in turn will allow you to return to the default, no region setting.

Stopping Brs.exe

• Check to make sure that PowerDVD isn’t running on your system. Close the program if already active.
    • Press Ctrl+Alt+Del simultaneously and this will bring up your Task Manager. An alternate method of bringing up your Task Manager is by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc.
    • Go to the Processes tab.
    • Look for brs.exe. Right click on this process.
    • Select End Process.
    • Click Yes when the warning sign comes up.
    • Close Task Manager.

Deleting BRF.dat

• Now that you’ve stopped brs.exe, you can now delete BRF.dat.
    • If you’re on Windows XP, you can usually find BRF.dat in X:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\CyberLink\BDNAV. Note that X here is the drive where you have Windows installed.
    • If you’re on Windows Vista, you can usually find BRF.dat in X:\ProgramData\Cyberlink\BDNAV\. Again, X stands for the drive where you installed Windows.
    • Delete BRF.dat.
    • Open PowerDVD. Your region settings should have reverted to the default already.
    • You should note that at your next reboot, brs.exe will restart. You can disable this process permanently if you use msconfig. You should be very careful when using this command, and you should be familiar with the commands to be carried out as doing this incorrectly can seriously damage your computer.

Stopping brs.exe at Startup

• Press the Windows key and then press R. This should bring up your Run box.
    • Enter msconfig.
    • Go to the Startup tab.
    • Look for brs.
    • Uncheck the box beside brs.
    • Click Apply and press Close.
    • You may be asked to choose between restarting your system and exiting msconfig without restarting. You may select either of the two.
    • The next time you boot up, brs.exe won’t be running. You can proceed directly to deleting the BRF.dat file.
    • Avoid any error associated with either the BRF.dat or brs.exe files by running a registry scan. A good registry cleaner will not only repair any error but will also keep your registry free from bloat.

Enjoy region free movie viewing!

Source-http://www.exe-error-fixes.com/powerdvd-8-brsexe