Thread: SMTP Authentication with Ipcop

SMTP Authentication with Ipcop

Hello everyone, here are my concerns:

I turn now with Ipcop + AdvProxy + BOT and I am sending mail from my LAN (only smtp). Its impossible if the person was not authenticated. I use the LDAP authentication AdvProxy on a 2003 AD.

I manage to get the pop3 no problem with a rule BOT. But I dry authentication required for smtp (client type thunderbird).

Re: SMTP Authentication with Ipcop

Where is the mail server? What is the mail server? What do you expect exactly when you call authentication? What authentication source?

The mail server is in an area seen as red. The mail server is postfix. What I call authentication is the authentication is done via advproxy on my Active Directory.

Authentication is done with the opening of navigator. If the client does not open and does not connect then it can not send mail (but can receive)

With Thunderbird, it is quite easy to use "smtp-auth" (typically tcp/587).

We created a definition of "SMTP server" with the name or address, the port 587, a username and password.

Rule BOT at the IPCOP is natural and needs no identification because it is the smtp server that realizes (and is transparent to the user).

In case of a user, the deletion of the account in smtp enough to defeat the sending, of course.

I can not see how IPCOP could, without protocol, add authentication.

I have trouble understanding that authentication could be that the smtp server! Actived or with a local!

The mail server is in an area seen as red.
    It's crap that means nothing.

authentication is done via advproxy on my Active Directory.
    How do you imagine that a proxy (ie http) is capable of supporting authentication of a SMTP session? And just to launch a browser in a SMTP session?

Confusion and ignorance of the protocols. SMTP does not provide the basic mechanism for authenticating users depositing mail. Only with the extension described in RFC 2554 it is possible to achieve. This is called SASL and is supported by Postfix. The method of authentication are numerous. But then it that your Postfix is compiled with good libraries and they are present on the server. You should choose a model for authentication (password Unix, etc ...). There are several Postfix see the doc. All this is clear. If you want to encrypt must then, in addition, use TLS.