Thread: Linksys switch problem

Linksys switch problem

Hi All!

I am having Netware 5.1 server (ip & ipx).
    it is connect to about 13 computers installed with XP pro for about few months back. My 16 port switch got broken now having a linksys switch (SD216) but any of the client could not connect to the server or ping the server. the server got connected as it shows the connection made. replacing with another SR2016 linksys switch it worked perfectly.

Can any one solve this....??

Re: Linksys switch problem

get into your lan card make sure everything is set correctly (the card is enabled, dhcp is enabled, dns is enabled)

also try to ping the router

turn router, switch, computer off
    turn router on, wait until on LEDs settle
    turn switch on
    turn computer on

when you connect the unlink port of the switch to the router, first use a straight cable, then try a crossover cable.

The switch has auto-MDX ports, any cable will do the trick here. I'm starting to think the switch may have a problem.

Let's summarize:

• You can connect directly to the router and get a good connection.
    • You use a known good cable to connect from the router to the switch.
    • You use a known good cable to connect from the switch to the computer.
    • The same computer cannot connect when attached to the switch.
    • If this scenario is correct, take the switch back.

Went out and bought a new Linksys 8 port swtich thinking it would work with the 5port Linksys I already had. Ended up having the same problem again...constant activity on the new 8 port switch when connected to my 5 port Linksys.

Seems to be an issue with my 5 port Linksys, because the new 8 port Linksys works just fine with my new 8 port Netgear switch. So there's obviuiosly no issue there...as I was expecting to begin with.

Why my 5 port switch works just fine by itself, I'm not sure. Regardless, no problems with Linksys and Netgear now...just a specific hardware problem of some sorth with my existing switch.

I've experienced problems in the past with Linksys switches myself when building a LAN room at home.

I purchased two 8 port Linksys switches, both connected to my Linksys router (BEFSR41). A computer on each of the new switches had extremely slow transfer rates. Transferring between 2 systems on the same switch (didn't matter which one), and I had excellent performance, as I did between a system connected directly to the router, and a system connected to either switch.

I ended up returning the 2 linksys switches, and replaced them with a single SMC 16 port switch, and everything is working properly.

If you had it working with a switch/hub before, without a router, either you used some sort of internet connection sharing software, or you had an account with multiple IPs. Or else your ISP was in it's early stages, didnt' know what the hell they were doing, and somehow let you obtain more than one IP address.

To share a single broadband IP address, you NEED either hardware sharing (router) or software sharing (SyGate, Windows ICS, Winproxy, WinGate, etc etc)