Thread: Can Windows Update be run from the command line?

Can Windows Update be run from the command line?

Hello,

I have Genuine to question to ask all the people who updates their windows Online,I will be very straight to the question,Can we run the Windows update through Command line.

I hope this possible but not confirm about it and even though it is possible then person who knows in an out of the command line can update through the command line?

So,please provide your suggestion friends!

Thanks in Advance!

Re: Can Windows Update be run from the command line?

I think there is way I can get windows update to run, download and install all critical updates without user intervention. I want to do it in a bat file for example

wupdmgr.exe –z –q
    Above command will run windows update and it auto downloads all critical updates and installs them.

And just want to tell *what* flavor of Windows update? 1.0, 286, 3.x, 9x, ME, NT, 2K,XP, CE, etc.?

(Not that *I'd* be able to help anyway, but ya know, gotta put my little rub
    in...)

There is no such utility. WSUS is free and simplistic; it is a pull technology in which the client controls when it checks in and when updates are installed. The most you can do is wuauclt /detectnow which will kick off a check-in with the server.

To be able to push updates at will, you will need to use SMS/SCCM.

To determine whether a software update package uses Update.exe as the Setup program, and to determine what version it uses, follow these steps:

1. Right-click the package, and then click Properties.
    2. On the Version tab, under Other Version Information, click Installer Engine. Update.exe should appear in the Value field.
    3. To determine the version, click Installer Version. The the version of the installer that is used in the package appears in the Value field.

For packages released before July 2004, or those packages whose Description value on the General tab is Self-Extracting Cabinet, follow these steps to determine whether Update.exe or Hotfix.exe is used, and to determine what version is used:

1. Extract the software update package to a unique temporary folder. For example, to extract the files for an update package that is named KBArticleNumber.exe to a folder that is named ExtractedPackage on drive C, type the following at a command prompt:
    KBArticleNumber /X:C:\ExtractedPackage
    2. Open the temporary folder that contains the extracted files for the software update package. For example, open C:\ExtractedPackage.
    3. Locate the Update.exe or Hotfix.exe file in the temporary folder or a subfolder.
    4. To determine the version of Update.exe or Hotfix.exe, right-click that file and then click Properties.
    5. Click the Version tab, and then note the value on the File version line.

Quote Originally Posted by NAYASA View Post
    There is no such utility.
    There is, just try WuInstall.

You can use it with a WSUS or without one, and you can specify options for selecting updates.
    Last edited by rupesh; 24-07-2009 at 10:20 PM. Reason: External Link removed