Thread: Setting up my wifi key on xp

Setting up my wifi key on xp

I want to configure my wi-fi key on xp which is on my desktop pc to connect to the internet from my laptop, so please help me and thank you

Re: Setting up my wifi key on xp

If both computers have Internet service, then the wireless issue is irrelevant. Concentrate now on the XP - Vista issue.

Setting the Network Location Type to Private, on the Vista computer, is a key step here. Also, make sure that NetBT is explicitly Enabled, and both computers are in the same workgroup. And check the firewall on the XP computer.

goto your start menu and in 'Run' type 'cmd' without ' '

in the command prompt type

ipconfig

look for where it says Default Gateway it is usually something like 192.168.0.1 or similar

type this number into your browser like this: http://192.168.0.1 , or w/e the number is

For most routers this will be the Administration page. unless you changed the admin password it is usually blank. It depends on the manufacturer. If it doesnt work just by leaving it all blank, either look up the default username:password on google by finding the router model on the bottom of it, or reset the router by pushing a paperclip or something in the small reset hole in the back (usually hold it for 10 seconds or so).

once your inside, goto the Wireless section, or Security Section, or Wireless security, etc, and find where it says "Encryption", select one (from best to worst): WPA2, WPA, WEP.

And put in a password to make the wireless password. If it asks you for an index, or says HEX, or some crap, then you are only able to use WEP i believe, and your firmware is probably old

All of this you could probably find better explained in the user manual or online guide for your router model

There should be somewhere in the wireless settings of the router that lets you change the key. The setup menu probably accessed by typing your IP address into the browser, usually 192.168.62.1.

Once you get in there you can use the default key (not suggested) or make your own. You than have to copy that key exactly as it is into your XP settings. Also, if you're running any type of encryption, make sure you have that selected in your XP settings as well.