Thread: Changing LINKSYS router's default IP address

Changing LINKSYS router's default IP address

In the Linksys router configuration, I see that the router has its own IP address besides my usual IP address. Whenever problem occurs, I call my ISP and they ask for IP address and I tell them my IP address but then they ask for the router's IP address and it is very difficult to remember as it is very different and strange numbered, not at all related to my usual IP. Can I change this Linksys IP to something simpler? Will this affect my internet connection?

Re: Changing LINKSYS router's default IP address

Let's say your network is going to work in the 172.16.100.X address space, so you'll need to change the whole address of the router. In order to do this, you will probably have to adjust the computer's network settings to work with the default address-this is usually best done by manually setting the computer's IP to something like 192.168.1.11. Changing the router's address is no problem; you connect to the router with your browser using its current IP, change the numbers in the little windows, and click "Apply." The router makes the change and probably reboots itself.

The default IP address of Linksys routers is 192.168.1.1. Note that this address is for the local network only. The Linksys router will obtain another, public IP address when connecting to the Internet. This address is set by the manufacturer at the factory, but you can change it at any time using the network router's administrative console.

I think with your question people are confused over Lan IP address and Wan IP address. As far as I understand from your question, the usual IP address that you say is referring to Lan IP and router IP referring to Wan IP for your linksys router. I should make it clear that your Wan IP is controlled by your ISP and you cannot change it. This change may not give you internet connection from your ISP. Your LAN IP however, that's the internal address, that you can change from the default 192.168.1.1 to another range.